1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alternate to an Ampeg 810

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EricF, Nov 14, 2006.

1. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    My vehicle (and my back) can't handle an 810 cab. Currently, I have an Avatar 210 Delta + 115 Neo setup, but I'm not sure it's the best match for my amp. Recommend me a 410 (or something else) to go with my SVT-CL.

I play indie-rock with Fender P & J basses.

2. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    Why not an Ampeg 1/2 stack 4X10?

3. Berg 610?

But if its a 410 your after, and an ampeg sound, like SteveC said, how about an ampeg 410?

4. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Schroeder 310212

5. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I've heard that the 4x10HLF is a perfect match for the Classic.
    It is a little bulky, but lighter than the 8x10 and definitely has a smaller footprint!

6. Frankie Fender

Frankie Fender The less notes you play, the more money you make. Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I second the opinion on the Berg NV610 if you can find one. IMHO it is a great replacement.

Maybe an Aggie DB410?

7. thrashermatt

thrashermatt

Jan 26, 2006
    western mass
    most ampeg 410's will do the trick even as a standalone cab
    SVT410HLF
    BSE410HLF
    BXT410
    all great cabs. Theres also a few 8ohm 410's which would sound great with an ampeg 15

8. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    The BXT is a mistake.
    I played one night with my CL.
    It sounded like crap.
    That is a seriously scooped cab.
    It has NO MIDRANGE at all.
    Your not going to find anything that sounds like a Ampeg 810.
    All that punch and air movement, it's only from a infinate baffled 810.I love my CL/810 monster.
    I understand the logistic issue of moving it also.
    A smarter solution is just to build a smaller set up in addition to the fridge.
    My "mid size" amp is a 410he and a SVT 350.
    Then I also have my mini rig,a single ported 15 with a Peavey MkIII.

9. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    This thing handles as much as an ampeg 810 (800wrms)
    and has an efficiency rating of 104db!

fffff.gif

Its a shame these have virtually NO resale value....:scowl:

10. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Thanks for the input. The 810 is an impossibility for me - no matter how good it sounds. I will probably make do with my Avatar setup for the time being.

Can someone tell me about the strengths and weaknesses of the SVT410HLF?

11. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    weakness... Its pretty heavy, 110 lbs. Some people say it can be a bit boomy, but you simply need to roll off the low end. EQ the amp to suit the cab and boominess is a non-issue.

Strength.... I have played through a lot of Ampeg cabs & think the 410 HLF sounds fantastic. I used one on tour recently (house amp) and I thought it was a 610. It was deep, clear, punchy. I believe a 450H ws the head powering it. I later looked a photo of the amp and was surprised to see it was a 410HLF. I'd own one if the weight wasnt for the wieght.

I personally use an SVT 15E + SVT 12E and have only great things to say about that combination as well. It just sounds big in all the right places.