1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

alternate tuning

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by buddahbass, Jan 17, 2005.

1. buddahbass

buddahbass

Dec 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    ok, here is the problem. i just started jamming with some guys, and the stuff they are playing is on the heavy side, perfect for a five string. the problem is i don't have a five string. i have two four string. a spector (my good bass) and a squire p bass (my backup, starter). would it be too much stress on the neck to take b,e,a, and d strings and put them on my p. i have tried just tuning down my e, but it just flubbes around. what other options do i have besides buying a five :confused:

2. You need heavier gauge strings to tune down to B,E,A,D...select string gauges that will be similar to the tensions you currently have on your bass at EADG.

I would remove the G string...move the BEA strings over...get the correct gauge B and slap that on. Then I would adjust the truss rod and the bridge saddles for height and intonation.

Inspect the nut...you may have to file that (not a hard job really). Once, you've filed your nut, however, a replacement would be in order if you ever want to go back to EADG.

A couple of hours of fiddling should yield you good results.

If you don't know about setting up and instrument, you may want to make this a joint project with someone who does know. You'll actually learn a lot from it.

I say....GO FOR IT

3. Actually, stringing BEAD will put less tension on the neck then EADG.