Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

alternate tuning

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by buddahbass, Jan 17, 2005.

1. buddahbass

buddahbass

Dec 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    ok, here is the problem. i just started jamming with some guys, and the stuff they are playing is on the heavy side, perfect for a five string. the problem is i don't have a five string. i have two four string. a spector (my good bass) and a squire p bass (my backup, starter). would it be too much stress on the neck to take b,e,a, and d strings and put them on my p. i have tried just tuning down my e, but it just flubbes around. what other options do i have besides buying a five :confused:

2. You need heavier gauge strings to tune down to B,E,A,D...select string gauges that will be similar to the tensions you currently have on your bass at EADG.

I would remove the G string...move the BEA strings over...get the correct gauge B and slap that on. Then I would adjust the truss rod and the bridge saddles for height and intonation.

Inspect the nut...you may have to file that (not a hard job really). Once, you've filed your nut, however, a replacement would be in order if you ever want to go back to EADG.

A couple of hours of fiddling should yield you good results.

If you don't know about setting up and instrument, you may want to make this a joint project with someone who does know. You'll actually learn a lot from it.

I say....GO FOR IT

3. Actually, stringing BEAD will put less tension on the neck then EADG.