1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alternate Tuning...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Not4You, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Not4You

Not4You

Apr 6, 2006
    Hi...I recently was asked to tune down the bass a half step...no problem. Then they wanted me to drop D on top of that (c#?) However, I cannot seem to get a half step below drop D? My top string just does not hold tension...Am I doing something wrong?

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    No, I don't think you are. That's pretty low for most E strings on a 34" scale instrument. You may be able to get away with it with a heavier guage set of strings.

3. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Definitely get a heavier gauge set of strings. That will help.

4. Not4You

Not4You

Apr 6, 2006
    Thanks guys, I have played in drop D and a half step down before, but never a half step below drop D!...So I was little frustrated last night trying to tune!

5. I've done it - I moved to a heavier gauge of string and got my set up adjusted by a pro, plays great.

6. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

I'm using a set of D'addario's with a .105 E, and I tune it down to drop C# on occassion. The music we play is straight stoner rock stuff, so the fret noise and just nastiness of it fits, but if you want a cleaner tone, I'd step up to a 110 or 115 E.

7. OneArmedScissor

OneArmedScissor

Feb 23, 2006
    Definately get a thicker E. I suggest a 120. I have used a 130 on mine and it was just way too thick but a 120 would be perfect.

8. cerrem

cerrem

Apr 4, 2006
    San Diego
    You could buy a 5-string box of strings and then just not use the G-string..... Use the top 4 strings and then drop down to D ... if that set does not agree with you then try the Ernie Ball Power Slinkies in the purple package...They are .050 to .110 ....

Best Regards
    Chris

9. that is the tuning my band always uses and i found that really you need a 110 or thicker to hold that tuning.