1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alternate Tuning

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Jeff Martinez, May 10, 2006.

1. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I've been using this tuning for about 12 years: A-D-A-D-A on my 5-er, D-A-D-A on my 4-string. I absolutely love the chords available to me. I've yet to meet another bassist who tunes the same. I'm just curious if anyone here uses this at all.

2. fod

fod

Nov 18, 2005
    Louisivlle Kentucky
    I have never even heard of the tuning before. Hmmm I will have to try that. what kind of music do you play?

3. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I actually discovered this tuning just being wierd. The band I was in used drop-D, so I tuned the G up a whole step as well, (just to be a smart-a**), and was pleasantly surprised with the results.

I'm currently in a "melodic-metal" band (www.borninwinter.com). I'm also working on a solo CD that should be available by October (I'll have samples up on MySpace as soon as I have time to put a page together)

4. i play AEADG!!!! wooo abother drop Aer!
    i play in a hardcore metal band - www.myspace.com/sintuition

i love the open A chugs availible on the 5 string, so low and powerful!

What Cab do you play through as i need advice on what to get as my Cab?? also what head do you use?

5. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO

Sweet!!! I'll check your stuff out when I get home from work (damn corporate firewall won't let me onto MySpace :mad: )

"A" works great with my band, since our guitarist plays in drop-D for most songs (drop-C on one song) and also has a baritone guitar in A. I love having 5 octaves of A at my fingertips.

I'm currently using a Hartke 3500 head with 2 Peavey 1820 cabs with new(ish) Black Widow 18's. Very few cabinets have the frequency response to handle the A (27.5hz).

6. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yeah, I recently tried tuning to a dropped A on the B string and love it. It is absolutely amazing! I tune my 5 string to AEADG and it sounds sweet. I'm playing through an ashdown amp with ampeg cabs. Sounds amazing through that. Just wondering has anyone tried tuning a 5string to something like this "ABADG"? I am curious to try this but haven't done so yet, just wondering if anyones plays with a dropped "e" string?

Its sweet being different from "standard" tuning.

David.

Oh and btw, I play heavy rock and some punk and its sweet.

7. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    The only difficulty I have with my tuning is finding a set of strings that gives me consistent tension from string to string. My dream set would be .140-.110-.080-.065-.035. Anyone know of a company that makes a set like that?

8. i use ernie balls heaviest version of strings and they give me the tone and the volume as well as being tight (even in drop A) and also feeling amamizng!
    im goin to look into a hartke cab, i tried one last nite and it sounded great!

9. Ive used DGDG before as well as EAEA. The wierdest tuning Ive used has been F G D F. I use alt tunings mostly for solo bass pieces because of the natural harmonic chords available so most of the time my tunings are based around a certain chord. Ive also done DGDD before.

10. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO

Very cool!!!

11. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    yeah i've just started learning some slipknot songs and paul grey tunes his four bangers to BF#BE.... Personally I don't like the flop that's associated with tuning the E that low, luckily my band doesn't ever go any lower than CADG so it's not that bad.... Anyone think I might need some heavier strings? I'm using Rotosound Roundwound Swing Bass SM66's 40-60-80-100...

12. labgnat

labgnat Banned

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    Justin chancellor of Tool uses the DADA tuning on the song 46 & 2 off the aenima album.

13. I tune DGCF; kinda like that "harsher/darker" tone; and playing with a drop-D guitar it helps a lot because I use 5ths and 4ths a lot

14. any one ever tried this
    FBGA#?

15. pepsican

pepsican

Oct 23, 2004
    iowa
    I used to tune C-G-C-G in my old band, now I'm back to standard.

16. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    In my punk days I used CBGB.

17. massrequiem

massrequiem

May 25, 2005
    Oxnard, CA
    You can go to your local shop that caries DR strings and have them order you a set or two of any gauge string combination you want. I work at a music store hear in Cali. and I order a box at a time of high-beams that run 50-70-95-125, I tune C,G,C,F . Plus the best part is at least for the set that I order when its by the box I get a crazy good deal.

18. what you mean you dont have to tune your basses abcd? i thought the alphabet was the only true way...

19. I like tuning DGDG. It's great for slide playing. I feel a little silly playing slide on a fretless though.