1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alternate tunings

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Well, we know you can tune a bass string down a full step and it stays pretty playable - but, can I tune a string up a whole step? (and not break it) I'm thinking of experimenting with a four string tuned DADA but I don't want to break the 1st string trying to get it to tune up to A - will this work? (it made scary tight tuning noises when I tried, so I quit and tuned it back down to G...)

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yea, I wrote a song in D-A-D-A it's a great tuning, lots of neat harmonics.

I use Light gauge strings though(.040-.100), and I have a Hipshot d-tuner on my bass, making it fairly easy to do.

I got E-A-E-A a couple times too, but I also broke a string a couple times trying that :p

generally lighter gauge strings will be easier to uptune, Michael Manring uses Piccolo strings on some(or all?) of his basses, extra long scale piccolos if I remember correctly.

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Thank you, WR.

4. if you tune to D-A-D-A, don't forget that you might have to make a Truss Rod adjustment. I know I did when I tuned like that a couple of times.....