alternate tunings

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jonas_oxide, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but i figured if anybody would know it would be you guys. I want to get a 6 string and tune it

c < b
    a < e
    c < a
    g < d
    c < g
    e < c

think that would create a tension issue?
    I mean, will it end up warping my neck or damaging the bass in any other way?
  2. b -> c = should be ok, but use a light gauge b.
    a -> e = will be fine with a normal e string.
    a -> c = for this you'd probably want to use a thick d string tuned down.
    d -> g = thats a normal string to find.
    g -> c = again, a normal string.
    c -> e = you'd probably have to use a high f# tuned down to e, but because you don't have very many gauges available for such a thin string, it will probably be very floppy.

In all, I see no huge issues with this plan, but it will be a pain to have to go and buy all those strings seperate, and probably from a few different vendors. As far as physical problems are concerned, you shouldn't have any besides needing to readjust your truss rod. Should be pretty basic.
  3. wow, I would have used the original strings in question, yes, it creates tension issues, but if its anything like playing a guitar tuned the same way (and in many ways it will not be) no special attention is req. for strings
  4. Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Like, as in string tension so wonky it would be hard to enjoy playing.
  5. If you used a basic 6-string set, you'd snap most of them if you tuned them up (2 steps up is about as far as you can tune them), or you'd be dealing with ridiculously floppy, unusuable strings.