1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alternative for 445 $!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fozzy, Nov 29, 2003.

1. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Ok.. i have Ibanez SR305DX 5string bass. All of you people are saying, that there is alternative for Ibanez basses... I want hear your opinions - what kind of 5string bass you can buy for 445$ :)
    Which bass sounds better it this price range ?

2. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Yamaha BB605 at Music123.com, Fender Standard Jazz Bass V at various outlets, possibly an Ibanez SR405 near that price range.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    For that price, take that $299 Brice MM lookalike and swap the pups.

4. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    How about Ibanez BTB405 , it costs 100$ more !! But what you think, compared to SR 305DX?
    BTB beats SR? Is it worth it to change my SR to a BTB ?

5. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    You can occasionally find Reverend Rumblefishes (the 5Ls) on eBay for 400-550 dollars.

You won't get a better 5 string for that price.

6. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    or you can get the production MTDs like a Kingston n stuff.

7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Godin Freeway 5. Growl coming out of your...

You get the idea ;)

Dan

8. I second that!

[​IMG]
    Treena

9. The Rumblefish is certainly a good recommendation, particularly if you dig that vintage/retro vibe, which the Rumblefish has in spades.

A recommendation for a bass with a more modern vibe is the ESP LTD C305. Music 123 is having a close-out on discontinued colors. Those colors are red and black quilt maple. I've seen the red color in person (mine is amber) and it's beautiful. The closeout price is $420. It's a very good deal.

Hey, speaking of Rumblefish, I noticed that Reverend is selling to TrueTone music in Santa Monica. This means California residents will now have to pay sales tax on Reverend mail orders.:bawl:

10. kutz

kutz

Mar 19, 2003
    Orange County CA
    How about an OLP Music Man copy? I bought a 5 string from Musicians Friend a few weeks ago for $150 as a refurb. I think they're still selling for about $200. It's great! I'm very impressed with it. It has decent fretwork and feels pretty solid. For the price I paid, I can get seymour duncan or bartolini pu and still have spent less than $300.

11. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    This will be the second timd I reccommend this bass on playing it at GC alone: Schecter Stiletto. It plays so nice, and sounds great. Give it a try.