Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alternative for Bag End Q10B-X... ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by De Teng, Mar 12, 2005.

1. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Perhaps you could help me a hand over here. I bit of a story, so thanks for reading anyway.

The last few years I've been playing with the Bag End 4.10' box and although the sound really pleases me, it's also darn heavy. Fortunately this is the 'shallow/undeep' version, which is really only about 35 cm in depth, but due to the construction and the high-grade materials it's really a bulky thing. I didn't turn my back into a hernia-thing, but a bit handier would be very nice. Every time I have to ask someone to help me around with it and we've even got a 'carrierthing' (don't know the word in english at the moment, sorry).. so that we don't have to use our muscles and backs too much. :eyebrow:

The dilemma is this one...

pro's: sound...(ok, and looks ;) )
    con's are: weight and the portability. It also seems to lack a bit of punch, like the audience doesn't hear the bass in the back of the venture. It isn't even that enormous by the way, but to cope with it I just manage to solve the grand 'carryingpuzzle' to put it in the back of the car everytime I need it. Not perfect, let's say.

So I began thinking...

I'm quite broke, so the deal should be selling the Bag End, and purchasing a 'new' (combination of) speaker ( s).

Would be a pair of GS112's do the job, only one GS212... or anything else? I read someone on TB liked one GS210 and one GS112 very much... perhaps an option? It's only needed on stage (monitor)... the rest of the PA will handle the job for the audience.

Also I just bought one of the best basses in the world... it's made by Andre vd End, a very well-known dutch builder, respected by his experience and a truly REAL vintage vibe. It is said by many pro's over here that he's even better then 'almost the most famous bassbuilder from the USA'... ( I don't want to make enemies over here you know..;) ) so I kinda 'need' a bit more a vintage sound. The Aguilar speakers would do the job very well I think... but I'm open to other options.

So what suggestion would you make? I'm playing a T-Max Peavey (350W at 4 ohms or 550W at 2 ohms) by the way.

Guys... what a typing-job! :ninja:

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Since you can't get the cabs I use (custom Nahas), I'd recommend my other favorite cab... my Bag End S15X-D. The cabs are just big enough to hold the 15, they're full range and they work. I'd get a pair of these and have fun. I regularly gig with just one; with 4, 5 and 6 string basses. Excellent lows.

The Aguilars are nice but they're no Bag Ends IMO.

3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Unless you are willing to spend a bit more $$, I don't think you are going to find anything louder, with better sound in a smaller package than Bag End, and the Q10B-X is a good one. I think Brad J. has a good idea with the dual 15 set-up..How much power are you using??

4. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    The 4.10" I have is 8 ohm, which gets 280W RMS from the head then. It has lots of headroom and power in a quite loud band. I only have to set the preamp, then 2 of 10 for mastervolume and the drummer begins to complain. Serious power is what I'm talking about. :cool:

Since Bag End has no official dealer over here anymore, I can't get two 15"ers at once, at maximum one... if you find one. Two boxes would be better then a large one perhaps. I like the 4.10" box, don't get me wrong! It's only lacking some bass at the real low-end sometimes.. don't know how.

So in your opinion the Bag End is better sounding..etc.. than the Aguilar range? Quite curious about your opinion, since I only heard Aguilar a few times, but never played it myself... :ninja:

5. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I love that 410 cab that you have. There's no way in hell I'd carry one around;). Been there, done that, too old and lazy now.

I recommended a pair of coax 15s because they don't make a coax 1-12 to go with the full range 15. Otherwise that's what I'd recommended, as it's very close to my Nahas configuration. I've owned my 1-15/ 1-12 Nahas setup for a couple of years now and I still couldn't be happier. It started out as a 1-12 Nahas/ Bag End S-15 rig which also sounded great.

You could also do an S15-D + S15X-D rig but I'd opt to have the coax driver in both just for backup purposes.

The Aguilars GS-112 cabs sound very good. I owned and used them live for a short time. The catch is that, like a lot of nice rigs, once you hear what you're missing... :(

The Bag End 15s (coax or single driver) just hit harder than the Aggies I've tried. They're very quick and very punchy too. The highs aren't exaggerated like they are on a lot of horn/tweeter-equipped cabs and as a result they sound more like the basses I plug in IMO. I used my S15X-D (coax) last night with an MTD 635 and a Brubaker fretless 5, pushed by a ThunderFunk TFB-420 and it sounded wonderful. Marvelous. It made me giddy with delight. Fabu-riffic!

Any idea how good it would have to sound to make a guy like me talk like this?
    :eyebrow:

:D

BTW pics of your new bass would be nice;)

6. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Definetly go for a 1x15 or have you even considered a 2x10 & 1x15 BE? I have a 2x10B-D that sounds amazing & has outlasted many other cabs that have passed through my hands. The size isn't that bad & neither is the weight...

~S~

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    It would probably be more of a hassle to get one, but I have heard several bassists overseas buying them -- Schroeder 1210.

Amazing tone and get plenty loud for stage monitor purposes (will do a lot of venues without PA if needed). They project and cut through in a live band setting incredibly well.

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I have a D10BX-D (coax 210) and I was surprised to find that I preferred it by itself. I've tried it alone, with an S15-D and S15X-D ( I really like Bag Ends;)).

I was even more surprised at how much more I like the coax 15 than the coax 210 as a single cab... and it's smaller and lighter.

9. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Thanks guys, I'm beginning to get a better view now.

I actually owned the shallow 2.10 with coax from Bag End. In the end I could make such a fantastic deal that I was almost able to swap it for a 4.10 with coax, heavily used, but the guy told me he had replaced all but the woofer with the coaxial tweeter.... and oh yes, he reminded... the tweeter too. It sounded way better then the 210 which had the originals, so it wasn't difficult to choose. The 15" Bag End must be great, I first should sell the 4.10" and then search half the continent for a 15'.... very difficult job.

The Schroeder stuff does the job extremely well, doesn't it? I read so many positive reactions about them. Since my head can cope with 2ohm (and it gives 550W RMS then) I could opt for the 1210 and the 1212. Talking about killing on stage. :p

When I have the chance, I'll provide the pictures of the bass. Perhaps next weekend....

10. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    bump

11. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I agree on the Bag End weight issue. I'm selling my 2-12 because I'm not gonna lug that thing anymore.

I wonder when B.E. will get around to figuring out the Neodymium thing? They could really use some lightweight stuff.

12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'm with brad on liking the coaxial 15 better than the coaxial 210. despite the impedance difference the 15 is every bit as loud due to a higher sensitivity ands a more aggressive voicing.

and yes, it would be interesting/nice to see bag end try out some neo speakers. even so they wouldn't be the lightest cabs for their size, they're made very well and are solid as a rock, but they seem to share some or rock's other properties, liek density for example.... :p