1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alternative for Cetek Gauss 15-inch

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 83_Silberpfeil, Apr 20, 2015.

1. 83_Silberpfeil

83_Silberpfeil

Aug 15, 2011
    Been using 2X15 Gauss 5642's (16 OHM) for my studio and live cab sound. Running an Alembic F2B preamp into a Crown DC300 into the Gauss.

Will be building a new cab and was wondering what modern/new drivers are closest match to the Gauss.

Much thanks!

2. 83_Silberpfeil and Bassmec like this.
  3. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Yes true but just in case he don't want to carry on the tradition of carting enormous weight, he could try the Fital PR400.

4. 83_Silberpfeil

83_Silberpfeil

Aug 15, 2011
    Thanks for the suggestion, will take a look. Weight is a challenge as I get older, but not a deal breaker.

5. 83_Silberpfeil

83_Silberpfeil

Aug 15, 2011
    Thanks Bassmec --- will check them out.

6. 83_Silberpfeil

83_Silberpfeil

Aug 15, 2011
    The McCauley 6242/6244 seem very similar to Gauss/Cetek. Magnets on the McC's with 17 lbs! They are quite pricey though --- $500 retail

7. You didn't specify affordable ;). The Faitals are great sounding drivers, closer to JBL's in sound. I would bet they would please though.

I suspect you might have auto-correct? It is Cetec, not Cetek I spent over a decade with Cetec corp.

8. 83_Silberpfeil

83_Silberpfeil

Aug 15, 2011
    Thanks for the correction B-String. Cetec it is ;-). Not too worried about cost, just an observation. I've seen a huge used lot for sale on EBAY for ~ $150 shipped per each. Do you think these are more modern and more reliable? Or no difference between the old Cetec and newer McCauleys?

9. The McCauley's benefit from more modern materials and further evolution, it's difficult to say they are an improvement ;), but they are in many ways.