Alternative Jazz bass wiring???...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by brock29609, May 12, 2003.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I always, 100% of the time keep both my pickups turned all the way up. And, I never cut any treble with my tone knob. I wish I didn't even have knobs because I sometimes bump them and turn them by mistake. I'm always paranoid that one's been turned down.

Do I even need volume pots? Can I just wire both my pickups right to the tone knob, or even better, right to the jack? Is there any alternate wiring that will keep everthing full on all the time?
  2. rick123

Oct 20, 2001
    Evanston, Wyoming
    I've never done it, but if it's a passive system I think you could wire directly to the output jack. Seems like the passive pots are "cut" pots so your volume and tone would be full-on all the time. I've read posts dealing with this idea recently, maybe on Talkbass but I'm not sure. Give it a try (and make sure your amp is turned down).
  3. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Yes, you can wire directly to the jack.

4. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Will I basically have the same tone, just with slighly higher output with the load from the pots removed?
  5. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Clean and Loud.
  6. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    :D I like clean and loud.

I may go with just one pot (a no-load volume pot). This would give me one master volume with both pickups always at equal strength, and I could "click" it on full blast and with no load to the signal. If I were to wire both pickups to the one pot, would I need a 500K pot instead of the two 250K pots? Will this work too?
  7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    How about sticking a series/parrallel switch in one of the pot holes? It is a fairly easy mod that you may enjoy.

8. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I'm getting a new pickguard cut with the holes taken out. Won't have any open holes to fill. This is for a Reverend Rumblefish.
  9. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    That's gonna be sweet! Serious Rock N Rolling times are headed your way!
  10. jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    That's exactly what I did. I first tried a couple of different wirings, blend pot and even push-pull switch on the tone control for series/paralell but then finally I took away the other volume pot and threw in a mini switch there for series/paralell and so I have only one master volume (that work much, much smoother than before for some reason), and the original tone control. Now I'm happy with my Jazz. I have the original honky jazz sound and the fat precision sound as well with just the flip of a swich. As a bonus the guitar became less noisier than before.
  11. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I used an on/off switch for each of my P-bass pickups(no pots). The front is from a Rick 4001 and the back is a Musicman. Full on or full off. I change tones with my amp.