Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alternative Jazz bass wiring???...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by brock29609, May 12, 2003.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I always, 100% of the time keep both my pickups turned all the way up. And, I never cut any treble with my tone knob. I wish I didn't even have knobs because I sometimes bump them and turn them by mistake. I'm always paranoid that one's been turned down.

Do I even need volume pots? Can I just wire both my pickups right to the tone knob, or even better, right to the jack? Is there any alternate wiring that will keep everthing full on all the time?

2. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I had the wiring in my early-70's Jazz bass modifed, and I'm very happy with it:

Knob 1: Master Volume w/push-pull... "pull" will bypass the Volume and Passive Tone pots

Knob 2: Rotary pickup selector: neck, both (series). both (parallel), bridge

Knob 3: Passive Tone w/push/pull... "pull" bypasses the Aguilar pre-amp (passive tone works regardless of whether the preamp is engaged)

Knob 4: Stacked knob for Aguilar preamp's bass + treble controls

I often pull up the Master Volume pot, thereby bypassing both the Volume and Tone pots, for the same reason that you cited... I generally leaved those full-on to begin with, so may as well bypass them and avoid the wipers of the pots altogether. The tonal difference is subtle, but noticeable... there are slightly more highs and lows when the pots are bypassed, i.e. the pickups go straight to the output jack, or to the pickup selector in my case.

-Greg

3. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Is the change in tone from the bypass a good thing, in your opinion? Does it sound better than having the signal go through both volume pots?

I may go with just one pot (a no-load volume pot). This would give me one master volume with both pickups always at equal strength, and I could "click" it on full blast and with no load to the signal. If I were to wire both pickups to the one pot, would I need a 500K pot instead of the two 250K pots? Will this work too?

4. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yes, the impact on tone is positive when both pots are bypassed... more highs and lows.

I'm not aware of this no-load volume pot that you mention, but it sounds like it's identical to having a push-pull pot, where 'pull' will bypass the pot altogether... sounds like the bypass is achieved by rotating the knob rather then pulling it up. If that's the case, the outcome should be the same.

5. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    The no-load pot is made by CTS but marketed by Fender. See link below. I only see a 250K variety. Think that will be a problem? Think I need a 500K pot if I'm going to send two pickups to it?

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/pots.html#nlpot

6. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Cool... thanks for the link, I wasn't aware of these things (though I'd still use same wiring that I have now, since the 'pull' on the Volume pot enables me to simulataneously bypass the Volume and Tone pots).

But... I have no idea idea about what values to use, I let my guitar tech determine that. Sorry...

7. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    Do you have a circuit diagram for this switching option? I'd love
    to have this mod on my bass.