1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alternative media sources

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    We all know mainstream media is full of lying, fact-omitting, biased, agenda-pushing political lapdogs, etc. etc. -- but what are the alternatives?

What are your favourite news sources? Maybe they're objective, maybe they make absolutely no illusions about objectivity. I hope to make this a thread not of political argument, agenda pushing, and division, but rather a place where we can find out about new sources, new ideas, and overall become a bit more informed.

Gwynne Dyer is a personal favourite of mine. He guest-lectured at my high school when I was 16. Really interesting ideas.

Naomi Klein is another Canadian freelance journalist, as well as writer of the famous book "No Logo." Her other book, Fences and Windows, is a very interesting series of articles and speeches on the subject of globalization. Her articles appear in many news sources including Canada's own "Globe and Mail."

Other than these two independent journalists, I find the BBC gives a more comprehensive dose of world news, though not infallible. I've basically given up on television news networks.

2. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Inactive

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Endorsing Artist: Red Zone Effects
  3. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    you're an alternative media source.

4. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    ALL single point news sources have an agenda of some kind.

The only way to get objective news is to pick several news "clearinghouses" online where you can scan the headlines for many varied news stories from any and all sources, read the ones you're interested in, and then do your own fact checking and cross referencing for each individual story, try to fill in missing information from other sources, and try to trace every story to its earliest/closest/most reliable sources.

5. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

That's the alternative to fair and balanced, anyway. :rollno:

7. Fuzzbass

I'm bummed that spinsanity.com has closed up shop.

Here's a perfect example: www.factcheck.org ... Isn't updated all that frequently, though.

8. Talkbass.com

its the best.

9. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    :rollno:

10. Fuzzbass

Your political bias is showing. Fox news is no more fair and balanced than its competitors: CNN, MSNBC, etc. The point of this thread is to avoid shoddy news sources and seek higher ground.

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Fox is definitely the kind of "shoddy news source" I was trying to avoid with this discussion :p.

I'm doing some reading right now around the site you posted, Fuzz (Ken?) and it's got some really interesting stuff on there.

Just cracking out the others posted here too.

12. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    How does that show political bias? The reason I :rollno: is because of the recent foxnews bashing in particular threads. I don't even get Fox News on my satellite, but I DO know that there isn't an unbiased network news source anywhere. I used to get it when it debuted and they had good intentions, but they've swung the pendulum in the opposite direction, IMHO.

To be honest, these threads about news sources are pretty much pointless because nobody can really count on the type of journalism being practiced these days. Everybody interjects their bias into the news so one never really knows what the facts are unless it's gotten straight from the source.

Good luck seeking higher ground in the media.

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I highly disagree. I'm not asking for or looking for the "holy grail" of news sources, but rather a number of various ones (hopefully international) that offers a wider perspective on what's already being reported.

I'm fully capable of forming my own opinions, but I'd rather they be informed from a variety of places rather than just the BBC, you know?

14. JNowiski

JNowiski

Jan 16, 2006
    Fayetteville/NC
    i like americaru.com and russianamerica.com. Foxnews is always good. I'm a big boortz fan. :D

15. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Your mom.

16. Dude. Low.

17. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Your face.

18. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I fully disagree as well. There shouldn't have to be a "holy grail" of news sources. There should only be the unbiased fact that's being reported. When you ask for perspective in journalism, you're asking for opinion.

In journalism, the only questions that should be reported on are who, what, when, where, why and how. There are way too many journalists interjecting probabilities and theories. Those are fine for opinion based shows and blogs and maybe that's what you're talking about, but when it comes to news, I don't care for opinion when I should be getting fact.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021