Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alternative pedal board materials

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nick man, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Hey everyone!

Ill keep this short.

Im thinking of building a pedal board and I was wondering if anyone knew of any alternatives to plywood that would do the job.

Im thinking it would be good to find something stronger that can be cut into thinner pieces for a lighter and less bulky design.

Any ideas?

2. ashbory

ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    I've used 1/2" poplar for the last two I made. Its lighter than your average plywood, easy to work with, cheap and pretty strong.

My recipe:
    - trace outline of pedals on board
    - cut board to size
    - make 1/8" deep routes for pedals (so they don't slide around)
    - drill holes on each side for tie-wraps to hold pedal down
    - sand and spray paint

3. stronger than plywood? For this use, no. Unless you go composite, like corrugated plastic. Or that honeycomb sheet stuff they make flite cabs out of.

Whole wood, tho lighter, will not be stronger than plywood.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    MDF

Medium Density Fiberboard

5. ashbory

ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    Stronger by weight :)

Think about it though, you've got a flat piece of wood lying on the floor. Jump on it all day, it's not going to break.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Do you know any good sources for materials like this? Is it easy to work with?

Ive heard some talk about MDF being used for router templates. How sturdy is it?

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    It will if you have it at an incline.

8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    At work (Transformer / reactor mnfg.) we use this stuff called 'Glastic'. It's like a fiberglass board. It's pretty tough.

We use it because of it's high temperature rating, though - I'd still think good plywood would be better for a P. board.

Joe

9. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    There's this material called "starboard," i think it's a fiberglass composite that my dad used to build a step box before i built my pedal board. I think they use it alot in marine manufacturing and if you live by a home depot or a marine supply store they should have it. The **** is tough as nails and u cut it etc just like ply wood. The only downside is that i think it's mad expensive.
    shrug. I ended up using plywood. so heavy though.

10. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I built my pedal board out of 3/4" 13 ply Birch (fancy! it was scrap ;-) and pine. Black felt from JoAnn's Fabrics, used a black gate handle for carrying, velcro and zip ties to hold all of the pedals. Works great!

I'm going to have to built a new one though if I ever get any more pedals (or built a complimentary second board - easier).