alternative solution to paint job

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Buddy Lee, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

May 5, 2002
    If you would like to have your bass "painted" in some way, but you don't want to deaden its tone by applying a paint job, would it be a solution to refinish it accordingly?
    I know that there are some old cutaway basses that were originally manufactured with a black finish and white pinstriping...
    What does it cost to have a luthier refinish your bass?

(I'm thinking of having my current bass refinished like the one in the attached picture, once I get my dream bass...)
  2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    If that's the finish you want, my advice is as follows: Strip off the old finish yourself with a chemical stripper, and lightly sand the bass with fine sandpaper (before you start make certain there are no open seams, cracks or voids). Find a small auto body shop where the bodyman would like a little challenge for a few bucks. Pick out a color and let him spray the thing with an acrylic lacquer or something similar. He can also stripe the edges using conventional auto technique. If he uses an appropriate primer, the finish coat can be kept fairly thin, so as to affect the tone as little as possible. I would only do this to a plywood bass. Anyway, tone is not the primary function of a bass decorated this way...