1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alternative to 18Sound mid driver ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by devnulljp, Jul 23, 2012.

1. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Just bought a nice looking unloaded fearful 12/6 cab in the B&S forum.
    Eminence Kappalite 3012LF 12" is easily available but I can't find 18 Sound [edited, thanks!] 6ND410 6" midrange driver in Canada.

Anyone suggest an alternative that you've had success with that might be available here -- Eminence or Weber maybe?

Or anyone know where to get them north of the border?

2. isn't the Eminence Alpha 6A spec'd as one of the mids for the 12/6? Can get those at either Speaker Hardware or Parts Express, I've not heard of issues w/those two shipping to Canada.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Is this Torin's cab? If so, you absolutely need to stick with the 6ND410 in this case.

You need to look up 18Sound, not 18Audio, for starters. Try the fEArful forum for a used driver if you can't find a new one. ;)

4. devnulljp

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Yes it is -- sorry that was just a typo. Can't find a source for 18Sound...

5. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    Register on the fEArful forum and someone over there will help you get it sorted. I built the cab and crossover and it'll suck hard with an Eminence mid driver in it unless you completely redo the crossover.

6. devnulljp

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
  7. devnulljp

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Thanks for jumping in -- I appreciate it. I've registered over there, so I'll see what I can do.
    Cheers

8. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    Most likely they are actually shipping the newer model, the 6NM410, in any case. It is not a perfect match. Not to worry, I am 100% certain someone can help you on the other forum.;)

9. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Buying the Eminence driver and replacing the crossover with the one spec'd for it would be cheaper than the 18Sound driver alone.

I've never heard the 18Sound mid driver, but I'm quite happy with the Eminence in my 12/6 cabs.

10. KnightsOfNi

KnightsOfNi

Apr 3, 2011
    I agree and the crossover change would be cheap as there is no padding on the Eminence Alpha
    If you want a Canadian supplier, I use Qcomponents in Waterloo Ontario
    I looked it up, and to change the high pass for the mid would be less than $20
    They also have the 3012LF at a good price.
    If you are thinking of using a 12Sub later you will need the 18sound mid.
    Regards
    Knights

11. devnulljp

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    How would I change the xover? I'd need to get the components for that too somewhere. Is that something that's readily done/available?

I found this but don't know how to turn that into something in the real world

12+6_22.

12. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    True, but IIRC the crossover that's currently in there cost more than the 6ND410 as well. It's pretty much all or nothing: start from scratch or use the driver the crossover was built for. This is a one-off crossover, done before greenboy started designing his own. It's not compatible in any way, although it actually sounds pretty similar IMHO.

I have an extra 6ND410 I can sell to the OP, but it'd be much smoother all the way around if Torin just included his at a fair price for all involved and used an Eminence in his new build.;)

13. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Unfortunately, no can do for a couple reasons. First of all I just got back from a trip to the post office (and home depot etc) and the cab is now in the mail. Secondly, I already have a crossover for my 18sound from speakerhardware.com enroute to use with my newer build (still a few weeks away from completion). Thirdly, I've always liked the 18sound mid and personally don't see a need to switch to the Alpha (although admittedly there are not alot of highs in my tone). I also like the fact that I'm good to go with the 18sound if I ever add a 12sub... which is likely at some point down the road.

Anyway, Alan I hope you get as much enjoyment out of that cab as I did. It really does sound fantastic.

One other thing... if you do decide to switch mid drivers you can buy a pre-assembled crossover built to spec from speakerhardware.com for $30.

14. devnulljp

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Thanks all, squarewave hooked me up icon_thumbsup.

15. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Excellent.