1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alternative to Barts in a Lakland???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Fezzey, Feb 17, 2008.

1. I have two Lakland 55-94s; a classic with an Alder body and a standard with a Swamp Ash body. Both have the Bartolini pickups and preamp.

I am considering trying different pickups and a different pre amp in one of them and leaving the other as is.

Any recommendations about alternative pickups and/or preamps? I read a lot about Nordstrand stuff. Has anyone put Nordstrands in a Lakland 55-94 that can comment on the difference they noticed?

I had Lakland put LH-3s and the LH-3 preamp in a 55-02 I once had and I wasn't particularly fond of those and I'm not sure why. I've taken my basses down to the Lakland plant and A/B them with other basses with the Lakland LH-3 electronics and elected to stay with the Bartolinis, even though Dan offered to swap out the Barts for the new LH-3 electronics at no charge.

I'm open to any suggestions or comments. Thanks!

2. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Ive heard only good comments and praise about the Nordstrand swap.
    Your other option is also Delano.

3. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
  4. phat daddy

phat daddy

Jun 16, 2006
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I'm going to chime in with an unpopular opinion-- I love the Barts in my 55-94. I really don't think for me that the tone of that bass could be improved upon. Yes, their an aquired taste, but they just seem so pristine to me and I absolutely love the frequency points of the NTMB-'L preamp. I tried a bass with the Lakland electronics and in no way found them to be an upgrade, and I haven't heard the Nordstrands, but for me if it ain't broke don't fix it. Ah, yes to each their own, but the Barts are still a great package.

5. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Absolutely +1. If you love the sound, why change? I really tried to like the Barts but couldn't get there. Sure like the Bart pre-amp though.

6. Thanks! Like I said, I would definitely leave the Bart electronics in one of my 55-94s. I like the instruments so much I have two of them and they do sound different, mainly because of the different body woods. They are a half pound different in weight as well. The Alder body is about 9 pounds and the Swamp Ash body is 8 1/2 pounds.

I was just thinking about switching pickups in one of them for more variety. Perhaps I can leave things as is and just tweak eq!

7. So, tallboybass, you kept the stock Bart pre amp? In the other thread, there was some discussion about an Audere. I was thinking about an Aguilar pre to go with Nordstrands, if I made a change.

8. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Honestly, it sounds so good, I'm just gonna leave it as is. I'd recommend changing one thing at a time, the new PUs fixed it for me anyway. YMMV

9. tallboybass, which 55-94 do you have, a standard, classic or deluxe? The reason I ask is that mine are a standard and a classic and I notice a significant difference in the tone of the two instruments. The classic has an Alder body and is the heavier of the two and it has a fatter midrange sound. The standard with the Swamp Ash body is lighter and has a brighter, somewhat thinner sound with less midrange emphasis. It's different enough that I suspected that the electronics were different between the basses, but the guys at Lakland say no. I imagine that the deluxe with the Maple top has yet a somewhat different sound also.

Based on your experience with the Nordstrands, which bass would you put them in, the Alder body or the Swamp Ash body? Thanks!

I'd PM you with this question, but there might be others interested in the answer.

10. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    There is a reason the 55-94 and 55-02 have been so damn popular for so many recent years. And it doesn't have to do with the Lakland electronics (which are very good and in MY opinion offer a little more cut-through). It all started with Bartolinis, so +1 to phatdaddy.
    I've had two -02 style basses with Barts so far and they really are great.

11. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Mine's the one with the quilted top, whatever that is. I have no idea which bass would respond better to the Nords honestly. I just know I like mine more now.:) Wish I could help you more.