Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alternative to Big Muff??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mikgag, Jan 17, 2006.

1. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    So I'd like to get a Muff, but can't really justify even $40 for a used one since I'm only gonna use it on maybe 2 songs. Are there any cheap alternatives?.....and by cheap I mean in the $10 used dept. like Danelectro,Arion,Dod,etc.....??

2. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I would try the ones you can afford and see which sounds best to you. I have heard great things about Danelectro's FAB series. They supposedly sound good and cost around $15.00, new. Good luck

3. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    What about when you're just foolin' around/soloing? I bought an English Muff'n for 240CDN :eek: and all I've done on bass for the last couple of days is solo shiz :bassist:

4. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    maybe look for a used behringer clone for $20 or less since they sell for $30?

5. Don't be a bum, get the Muff. It will be well worth it.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Get the Muff, nothing really comes close, and those that do just aren't worth it.

7. gravaged

gravaged

Dec 9, 2005
    Alabama
    If I found a Muff for 40 bucks I'd leap on it, and I don't even have a use for it.

Maybe you only use it for 2 songs, but how many times will you play those 2 songs? And then once you have the pedal, you can write more fuzzy songs. fuzz is the gift that keeps on giving, dude.

8. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

I bought a Russian Muff to do a couple of Cliff Burton solos. It's since seen regular use in my own soloing and routine. 80 bucks wasn't the price I wanted to pay for it, but it was well worth its weight in gold.

9. Earwaxsculptor

Earwaxsculptor Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2005
    The Garden State
    IMHO the Big Muff is the "cheap" bass fuzz that is worth it's wieght in gold. You can pick up a used Russian one on Ebay for relatively cheap and you won't be dissapointed, beleive me. (from my experience the Russian ones sounded better on Bass than thier more expensive USA counterparts anyway). They are fun pedals, if you put them after a boss bass EQ and mess with the sliders and sustain knob you can get some very brutal "musical" sounding feedback that changes depending on where you mute your strings with your left hand :bassist: (one of my favorite ridiculous things to do when I dont have to worry about "keeping it down").

10. Agreed. I got my USA Muff for $65 new and feel real good about the return for my investment.

Mike

11. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I got my brand new Russian Muff for $55 or so at GC..

Save up, and get it... Honestly, you'll be happy you did.

Honestly, If you are after theharsh, wall-o-fuzz sound that the Muff will get you, nothing comes close to the sound for cheaper.

There are those who calim to be imitators, but they can't cut it...