Alternative to Dean Markley

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jarred Harris, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Jarred Harris

Jarred Harris

Apr 4, 2019
    Rome, Ga
    I used to use nickel plated blue steels but it’s hard to find them in medium lights these days. Any comparable alternatives to them? Currently on D’Addarios but they just aren’t the same tonely and not even close with longevity. Playing a Sadowsky Metroline PJ5 for modern country / rock.

2. A few of the people from Dean Markley broke off and started their own company called Apex Strings.

APEX BASS STRINGS

You might want to check them out.

jallenbass and tindrum like this.
  3. I would try anything over the D'addarios. I usually use a different brand but bought a set of those when the store was out of my preference. The G string broke while I was installing them and, after borrowing a G from another bass, I was really unhappy with the tone. Don't really know what to advise. I'm trying the GHS pressurewounds on a good recommendation and I have those on order. Have been happy with Ernie Balls for a while, but a lot of people don't really like them.

4. Jarred Harris

Jarred Harris

Apr 4, 2019
    Rome, Ga
    I tried the pressure wounds and wasn’t a huge fan. They sound okay but I didn’t like the way they felt at all. I’m not an Ernie Ball fan myself. I’m considering DRs

5. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

As mentioned, Apex Strings are made by the people who actually made Blue Steels.

But it won't hurt to try DR, as well as Dunlop Super Brights.

eriky4003 and tindrum like this.
  6. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    I was a fan of nickel plated blue steels. If you want something in that ballpark, try these:

Rotosound Swing Bass nickels or rotobass nickels.

DR Low Rider nickels.