Alternative to Dream Theater?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by WarThumb, Dec 14, 2005.

1. WarThumb

Dec 13, 2005
    My favorite prog rock band has to be DT. But now that I got all teir CD's and have listened to them a lot, I am ready to explore other rock bands. Is there any god/great albums in the same genre as DT? I love the sound and variations of Ocatvarium and Scenes from a memory, and the thickness and weight of Train of thougt.
  2. Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Porcupine tree.

From some REAL PROG ROCK try some camel the guys who were some of the first to start it.

And Opeths new album is very prog rockish.
  3. 73jbass

Apr 17, 2004
    Symphony-X gets a thumbs up for my prog/metal moods.If you want something a little lighter and melodic,give Spocks Beard a listen. Especially V or Snow. Lots of other stuff out there as well,these were just my current faves.
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    When I'm in the mood for some nice wankaliscious prog only ELP will satisfy. Also, I hear alot of Mahavishnu Orchestra influence in Dream Theater's music. I prefer Mahavishnu.
  5. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

There's a band called Aghora which has been mentioned a few times. The first album is definately unique. From the little bit I've heard of the upcoming album, the sound is a bit more "conventional", but it's still cool IMHO.
  6. Hell yeah. Awesome band, especially their last 2 albums.

Anyway, WarThumb, if you like Dream Theater, you should check out Liquid Tension Experiment (I'm suprised nobody else said this). The band is John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy, and I think Jordan Rudess (all from Dream Theater) with Tony Levin on bass/stick. It's a very similar sound to Dream Theater, except that there is no singing. Just kickass instrumental prog rock. Very heavy at times, tons of talent, some amazing compositions, awesome in my opinion.
  7. .
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well, you might want to explore the entire Prog genre. I use to like Dream Theater, until I compared it to other prog... now I hate them.

Queensrchye and Fates Warning (more Queensrchye) were a HUUGE influence on DT, might be a good place to start.

Other than that, look into the all time prog greats, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Goblin/Cherry Five, Comus, etc.
  9. I'm sorry, but this has the be the dumbest statement I've ever read. How can you judge a band by comparing it to other bands? You admitted to liking Dream Theater, but since you consider it too mainstream, or not enough prog, you hate them. ***?

So, you dont hate their music, you just dont think they are prog. You are being closed minded to other genres (I dont consider prog a genre, but that's another argument) even though you prefer one of the most open of genres. It's not possible to like other music besides prog? If it sounds good, it sounds good.

I'm not saying this just because I like DT, but take this for example:
    Someone likes Britney Spears music, good for them. But, someone else says she is too main stream or not pop enough. So, because of a label, this person no longer listens to Britney Spears.

Wow, I wish I was as tight as you.
  10. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    I would definitly check out some Fates Warning. But my honest opinion is that there is no alternative to Dream Theater.
  11. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Liquid Tension Experiment (both of the albums)
  12. timo1999

Nov 4, 2005
    If you would like to listen to some prog rock that is not well know, but some pretty crazy stuff, then you should check out Spastic Ink. Maybe even an older band that was very similar to Fates Warning called Hellstar.

timo :bassist:
  13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    You haven't been here very long, have you?

They got old REAL quick, the bland drawn out extended solos, the Steve Perry vocals. Good prog completely changed my ideals on what talented music is. Let me put it to you this way cuz...

For about 2 months, you ate a bowl of hampster food. It fills your stomach, so you decide that's what you eat every morning. One day, you decided to check out one of those grocery stores you've heard so much about... then you head down the cereal aisle. All of a sudden all the options become available! WOW Frosted Mini Cheerios are so much better than hampster food!!! I'll never eat hampster food ever again!
  14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    P.S. I hate how trendy it is for people to say people don't like trendy music because it's trendy.

I like Phil Collins and Justin Timberlake for Christ sake!
  15. Steve Perry isn't the singer for DT, but maybe I'm not following the conversation right and you're talking about someone else.

Good suggestions all-round. King Crimson, Yes, Rush, Opeth, LTE, Meshuggah, Tool, etc. Some are more prog than others, but that doesn't always make them better,
  16. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    P.P.S. - Dream Theater is cooler than you. Fact. And hamster food.
  17. lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Pain Of Salvation
    Pagan's Mind
  18. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I think it's fair to speak for Matt and clarify that his statement was about LaBrie's method of "singer high for the sake of singing high", something that Perry is very much guilty of (although I think LaBrie has done a much unsung job of toning back his vocals recently.)

...and while I won't go as far as Matt and state that I hate DT, as a longtime fan their output from Rudess' inclusion onward has left me pretty cold. Far too much overplaying, guitar solo/keyboard solo/unison solo "instrumental by numbers" passages and overall wankery at the expense of solid songwriting and good lyrics. Kevin Moore was by far the best lyricist, John Myung isn't allowed to contribute unless they follow JP/MP's rules, and LaBrie has quality but not quantity... as opposed to JP's great decline in quality and MP's always middling lyrics.

Over the years I've found that prog with good lyrics and quality songwriting is the exception rather than the rule, so I've mainly switched over to instrumental bands for my technical desire (Planet X, anyone?) and less "prog-by-numbers" for my all-around listening - Mike Keneally, Zappa, Chroma Key/Kevin Moore's work such as the O.S.I. project which IMO is the best DT side project by far.

If cool is defined as "nu-metal wannabe shopping for stage clothes at Hot Topic", then by all means they can be cooler than me. ;)

19. Thats exacty what I said and why I listen to prog. :rolleyes:
    I don't think I could get anymore underground.

edit: cuz
  20. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I would say that you have barely scratched the surface of the underground. If you want I could suggest some more esoteric bands, though I still wouldn't consider them that underground.