Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alternative to FCS G

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by B. Graham, Feb 9, 2006.

1. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I've been using Dominant's and liking them quite a lot, but since I've got a new (to me) bass, I thought I've give some other sets a try. The current choice is FCS's.

The G is too bright for me. Any suggestions out there for an alternative to the FCS G, and maybe D?

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Jargar Fortes are a warm sounding string.

3. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    I used FCS A and D with spiro mittel G for a long time, and it was a pretty good mix but the G was still a bit bright. Then, to my surprise, I found that a spiro weich G worked quite well with the FCS, color-/tension-wise. Except that the weich G is the skinniest and most annoying string ever, feel-wise, to me...

Lately I've been mixing the new formula Spiro mittels with a Flexocor G, and the dark Flexocor is nice. I'm using a Stark, which would not be a good fit with the FCS; but I bet a light gauge Flexocor G might work with the FCS, especially if one used the rubber bridge ring to calm it down a bit.

4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    The Original Flatchromes are warmer. The G is still bright, but not as much as the FCS.
    You can get Original Flexocors too; it's virtually the same string, but a tad less expensive.

5. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    the regular flexocor '92 g is a real nice string.

6. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I'm still confused about Flexo's. If one was to order Flexocore's, would they recieve '92's? And, if one was to order Original Flexocore's, those would NOT be '92's?

Thanks,

Bill

7. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    http://shop1.mailordercentral.com/lemurmusic/departments.asp?dept=3

the '92s are the ones that come in thin, medium, thick, and solo.....the orgininals are the.....originals, :D

yes it is confusing.

8. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Thick is "Stark"? I've read in another area about folks liking the medium G, D, A, and the stark E.

9. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    thick is stark, just like with spiros, i guess the light could be weich, and the regular could be mittel......
    i have the regular g, d, a, with a stark E on my bass.
    it's a nice set that way.