Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alternative to Fender Jazz basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrbaloo, Feb 20, 2003.

1. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Hi

I wounder if there are alternatives to the Fender Jazz in the mid-range level? Ok, Fender has the mexican model (is that called MIM?) and some Squire models, but what about other brands? MTD, SX...? I'm into buying an jazz-bass and whant to know what else I can look at.

/MrBaloo

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Lakland Skyline JO
    Fernandes Retro
    Tokai (if you can find one)
    Ken Smith is also behind an econo Jazz type bass as well.

3. By midrange, I'll assume you mean about $500?

If you want a Fender-like feel and sound, I strongly advise you to check out ANYTHING Yamaha makes.

I have a BBN5 II which is very similar to the BB604, but, it's not active. It's in the MIM (Made in Mexico) Fender category, and it sounds so unbelievably good for a bass that cost $400 brand new. I've played most of the Yamaha line, and they're all excellent basses in their price range. If you want to go higher, the TRB series are about $1,000 or so, new.

The Ibanez BTB line is similar to a Jazz bass, and they are also excellent.

I don't think you can go wrong with Yamaha.

Mike - A VERY satisfied owner here. ;)

To those who are viewing this after about 6pm Central time, I had some links posted here to some basses at Musiciansfriend, but, these were going directly into my account. See below.

Mike

4. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Hi

A jazz bass with Fender feeling and sound (with passive electronics), but *not* Fender, is what I want. I think Yamaha is easier to find in Sweden than Lakland and the other brands. I'm definitively going to try out some Yamaha models. I really like the look of the BB604.

/MrBaloo

5. Make sure it's an OLD Tokai (1980's). The new Tokai basses are absolute garbage. Defective electronics, shoddy assembly, cheap parts. They are the same price as a Fender MIM but far lower quality.

6. reverend. probably aren't too many of those in sweden, but...

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hey Mike, you might want to edit your links. They go directly to your account.

8. Hey Bryan, thanks a lot. I never realized this.

What could someone do anyway? They don't know any numbers. Or could a mad hacker buy stuff and charge it to me?

Mike

9. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    how were the older flame top yamaha's?
    they came in either blue or orange quilted or flamed top i believe... j pickups. i always wanted a 5 cause it looked like nathan easts.lol

10. Bryan, I deleted the links. I don't know if anyone could do any harm, but, I agree with you; it's better to be safe than sorry. That went right over my head.

I thank you again.:)

Mike

11. They were pretty cool. I had one for a week,but I bought intending on selling it at a profit to buy something else. I nearly kept it. Excellent bass for the money. I would happily own another one.

BTW-Don't leave Carvin out of the equation. Great bass,great value.

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    No problem, Mike. :) I was worried JT would use his hacker skills and order a bunch of Ibanez four-strings for himself so that no one would know he placed the order. ;)

13. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    An essex can be had for cheap. Sound great, look great, play great, and you can modify the CRAP out of them!

Rondo Music

14. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    I have now been looking at Yamaha BBN4 or BB404 (I assume that the BBN4 is the former BB404). Would one of these do the "jazz bass trick" for me? The next step is to find a local dealer so I could play one to.

/MrBaloo

15. I agree, I used to be really wary of Carvins, but I played this LB20, and sweet lordy! It was awesome...a heckuva lot fuller sounding than a J-bass...I'd pick one up if I had money and a need for one.