1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alternative to GK MB 200 Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phillipgriffin9, Apr 2, 2013.

1. phillipgriffin9

phillipgriffin9

Mar 7, 2013
    I'm looking for an inexpensive but quality amp head--something like the GK MB 200. I don't need too much power.
    Suggestions?
    Thanks
    P-dog

2. What is wrong with the G-K MB200? Great bang for the buck on a quality head.

3. DerTeufel

DerTeufel Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    Agreed..great little head! It's my backup to a MB LMIII.

4. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Check out the Fender Rumble 150 head. Nice little amp.

5. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Apr 2, 2012
    Arizona
    Eden E300, Ampeg PF350

6. Hartke HA2500

7. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    TC BH250
    Hartke LH-500
    Kustom DE300

8. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    +1 Why not get MB200? Happy owner here, main head for any stage for me.

9. Carvin BX250. 300.00 bucks.

10. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    This

11. phillipgriffin9

phillipgriffin9

Mar 7, 2013
    Thanks all. I've been looking for an MB but they get snatched up fast, so i wanted to expand my view.
    Cheers!

12. I haven't any experience with the GK stuff, but have owned both a MarkBass LMII and F1. I'm a recent convert to an EBS Reidmar and find I have way more flexibility with, and control over, my tone by having the parametric Mids. Plus, the 250w EBS is nearly as loud as the MB 500w, if you ever do need to turn it up.

13. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Definitely a good snag if you want a micro head that's affordable and well-made. They can be rather transparent though, make sure you aren't putting junky basses through it! ;)

14. Ah, so you meant used, then. It seems to me that the lower the new price is (and the MB200 and other mentioned here are about as low as amps go) the less likely it is to find remarkable used prices. You'll regularly see people trying to sell them for prices that are pretty close to what you might catch on a random sale with Musician's Friend or something.

What are you trying to spend?

Anyway, the Overtōn Flyweight 200 might be another one to add to your search, but those aren't going to pop up too often either.

Good luck

15. phillipgriffin9

phillipgriffin9

Mar 7, 2013
    Yeah, I'm looking for something around two hundred dollars, used. Thanks for the tip. I'll check out MF.
    P

16. DerTeufel

DerTeufel Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    You shouldn't have any problems finding something similar at that price point used..sometimes you can snag a MB200 for that..NEW (If you are patient enough).

17. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    PM

18. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Mb200 is my go to for a lot of gigs. When I need a bigger gun, I pull out the mb fusion...

19. phillipgriffin9

phillipgriffin9

Mar 7, 2013
    Doug-replied to

20. I actually got an mb200 yesterday at a music expo for $200, new. Deals can be found :)