alternative to marcus miller jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by streamerstii, Jul 30, 2004.

1. hey everyone,
    I've finally found a bass i like, the marcus miller jazz bass (4 string) but i've grown accustomed to playing my 5 string and i really like having the security of the fifth string so i can play in the middle of the neck and have an extended range. I know a likely alternative would be the 5 string version, but don't have that amount of money (approx $1500) is there another alternative to the marcus miller but has five strings and is cheaper?
  2. AA63

Dec 2, 2003
    Montreal, Canada
    Talk to Nino, he'll build you one.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Yeah, you could even get a Sadowsky preamp in yours like Mr. Miller. In your position, I'd say Nino is definitely your best bet.
  4. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    What about a Lakland Jo Osborn 5?
  5. You could get a MM sig 5 for 1500.

Right? :ninja:
  6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    He's saying he can't afford the $1500 for a MM5.
  7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    guys, guys, Marcus Millers preamp is a Bartolini 2 band, the bass and the pickups are stock Fender.. not to take anything away for Sadowsky , but those are the facts. Mr Sadowsky did the install, from what I understand.

having said that, I am sure Nino can hook you up... the basses look sweet!
  8. If I can place my 2 cents, As a marcus huge fan, I read several interviews of mister....
    A special one as a bonus book offered with M², where he explain that the fender custom shop build the cavity and place their electronic, marcus, unhappy with the preamp just asked M Sadowsky to put his preamp in it....
    Marcus told this.....

Just MHO
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

And Marcus may indeed have had a Sadowsky pre put in one of his other basses. But the fact is, the workhouse that Marcus has been playing for years, the late 70's ash/maple Jazz beast that the MM signature 4 is based on, has a Bartolini preamp installed by Roger Sadowsky. This has been discussed here many times over the past 4 years. Do a search, including the archives.
  10. Jazzguy

Jazzguy Banned

May 3, 2004
    Ya, take a look at Lakland.
  11. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I've been thinking about something in this vein too and will get Nino to do mine. The thing I like about Warmoth is that when I screw up a neck or want something different, I can just get another one and slap it on for pretty cheap. That's a luxury you can't even get with Sadowsky. I, for one, don't really need more boutique stuff as much as I need a solid/versatile 5 to work on. I've got plenty of expensive lumber sitting around.

I think you're still looking at around $1300 to get the Valenti and $1000 for a Skyline JO5, which I believe is passive...alternatively scope out for a used Fender 5 in natural ash/maple, you see one every once in a while.
  12. si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    celinder did a mm tributes series perhaps you can get lucky and get one used ...
  13. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    [​IMG];$sessionid$DS2DIWIAABLQPTZENUFUTIWPERWRJPX0?UCIDs=850849%7C940496&PRID=1424785 :bag:
  14. This is a thing I don't understand!
    Everybody tell that it's a bart', and marcus told on the interview that's it's a sadowsky....
    I spoke of the natural '77 Jazz Bass! Not one of his other bass....

Perhaps I'm wrong, perhaps I'm right?

15. I think Adrian is right and we are talking about his 70s Fender jazz. Sadowsky did all the installation work on that bass and still does the fretjobs, setup, etc.
  16. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Lakland Skyline Darryl Jones signature fiver is coming around soon...
  17. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

why is the 5 string M2 so much more expensive than the 4string?
  18. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    It's American made, has better tuners, neck's a little different.
    The pre-amp is most likely different, MIA single coil pups, the battery goes in the rear and not the front. it comes with a case.
  19. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I read in an interview with Marcus's tech that it was a Bart preamp in the "workhorse", but it was not only installed by Roger, but also modified, effectively becoming a Sadowsky preamp. I mean, a good, transparent preamp will act only act as an EQ -- it boosts certain frequences. And cuts. If he modified it, there are only so many ways to do so -- either change the amount of allowable boost/cut, or to change the frequency centres. If he changed it to the same frequency centres as a Sadowsky preamp, then effectively, it is a Sadowsky preamp.