1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alternative to mic'ing a guitar amp

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by LowDown Hal, Aug 27, 2012.

  1. I've heard of a device that inserts inline between the amp and the speaker.

    This way the characteristics of the guitar amp are captured but there is no bleed on a mic.

    Does anyone know what this device is?
    Maybe a link to a place to purchase said device?

  2. fenderhutz

    fenderhutz Supporting Member

    Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I would say grab a Line6 interface or an isolation box like this:


    I have heard of a power brake to let the amp breathe and lower the volume:


    But you would have to find one used.

    My guitarist uses a Line 6 POD to run direct. Their entire business for that is to sound like a real guitar direct and you can get things like a pocket pod cheap.

    Edit: Also a THD Hot Plate

  3. I have been using a peavey direct box for over twenty years. It basically goes inline with the speaker cable from the amp to the cabinet and gives an xlr out to send a signal to the board. Miine is packed up with all the sound gear from teh gig we did this weekend and I don't recall teh exact name and model.

    I found this simialr one in a search.
    Hosa DIB307 Active Direct Box with Line and Speaker Level


    You need something like this.
  4. morgansterne

    morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

    Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    radial jdx
  5. some good ideas so far...
    Does anyone know of a pre-built adapter cable so something like the radial JDX could be used on a combo amp?

    For example, a Blues Junior. I'm assuming I can insert this DI by unplugging the spade lugs to the speaker and converting that to a 1/4" into the box. then a 1/4" out of the box converted back to spade lugs?

    <edit> just found a Planet Waves adapter. I think I need to look carefully at the back (inside) of the combo amp....
  6. 4Mal

    4Mal Supporting Member

    Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    If it were me, i would make a small right angle bracket and mount a .25" jack on the inside of the cabinet. Wire from the amp to the jack and make a .25" cable for the speaker. When you want to use the DI, regular spkr cable from the jack to the DI box and from the DI box back to the speaker. Easy, peasy...
  7. the Arsonaut

    the Arsonaut

    Aug 27, 2012
    Countryman DI.
  8. derrico1

    derrico1 Supporting Member

    Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    You might also be thinking of the Hughes & Kettner Rebox. IME, though, this doesn't sound like a guitar amp; it sounds like a Redbox.
  9. Ender_rpm


    Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    For super cheap the Behringer Ultra-G DI works pretty well. I have both the B and the Redbox, both work, the B is slightly brighter overall, but has some hiss to it. The Redbox is darker, but no extraneous noise. Both sound pretty good, but they are designed to simulate either a 4x12 or a 2x12 (open backed) cab, so if you are running any other speaker set up, it won;t sound similar.

    Also, neither are load boxes, so you need a speaker attached at all times. I used both for church gigs where they didn't want open mics picking up foot stomps, finger squeaks, etc.
  10. Radial JDX, or one of the palmer speaker sims.

    Or any of the samsamp character series pedals. They're built to sound like a mic'd amp.
  11. Ender_rpm


    Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO

    yes and no. They are designed to REPLACE a miced amp. Run a speaker level load into it, and it'll let out the magic smoke :)
  12. Aye, I meant to say that..
  13. you're thinking of a speaker DI, which they make. i think jimmyM used to be into that idea for a while. otherwise, id say your best bet is some sort of amp modeling pedal (ie pod, axe-fx, etx) or software amp simulation. i use logic 8's amp sims all the time. no one can tell.
  14. THANKS guys
  15. Corey Y

    Corey Y Guest

    Jun 3, 2010
    DI (post amp) + Redwirez cab impulses, run through a convolution reverb plugin in your DAW . Not my first choice, but it can work well.
  16. Robdrone


    Jul 27, 2012
    Lancaster, PA
    I agree. I've got one built into my triamp and it's doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the amp does. It's not bad for reference or scratch track purposes, but that's about it.

Share This Page