1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

alternative to moog low pass filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by reubmister, Jan 1, 2012.

1. i was wondering if there is a cheaper (yet effective) low pass filter alternative to the expensive moog

2. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    Search "Iron Ether Xerograph".

3. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    He said cheaper.

4. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Hahahaha

5. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    Moog MF101 is $279 on musician's friend; standard Xerograph is $185 direct from IE or deluxe model is $225.

6. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    What features are you looking for in an envelope filter? The Moog unit has lots, but also lacks a few too. There are some at pretty much every price point. The EHX Micro Q-Tron is under $100.

7. jbednarski

jbednarski

May 31, 2010
    Chicago area
    I've had both the Xerograph and the Moog. Returned the Xero. Moog sounds better, better built and has more tonal range and options IMO. If you need an envelope filter too get another pedal. For a low pass the Moog can't be beat.

8. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I disliked the bypass on the Moog, and I disliked the lack of an "up" filter. Both were important enough to me that I went with a different filter.

Not intending to bash the Moog, but trying to point out that depending on the priorities of the consumer, even the iconic models may not be the right match.

9. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have had the exact opposite experience...

10. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    New Jersey
    The better built parts is espescially laughable.

11. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    +1. Having owned an Oxide, the last thing I would say about IE stuff, even if the sound didn't do it for me, is that it was poorly built in anyway.

12. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Yea I guess if you buy them brand new. You can usually find a used MF101 for around 190 or so. I've seen a lot sell in that price range. I just figured the OP was shooting towards the lower side of things.

13. jbednarski

jbednarski

May 31, 2010
    Chicago area
    Never said the Xero was poorly built just that the Moog is built better. Could probably drop it from an airplane and it would still work. Just my opinion of course.