1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alternative to Moog LPF?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by smo, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Hi all,

So I own a Moogerfooger LPF, the big box of awesome.
    I love this thing, but it's huge and just won't fit onto my pedalboard.

Is there a more pedalboard friendly pedal out there that sounds (more or less) the same?
    Fat is where I want to be. Nasal sounding filters are not me.

FWIW, I play both guitar and bass, my board doubles for both, so pedals that are problematic to trigger the envelope with low output instruments are a no-bo.

Cheers

2. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Iron Ether Xerograph Deluxe

The newest version should be the closest. Not identical, a good dirt like a fifth gear infront of it reaaaaly helps.

HolmeBass and Jonny5bass like this.
  3. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Hmmmmm maybe this will be my first I.E. pedal

Jonny5bass, nshuman and Alien8 like this.
  4. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Should I make a point to get the newer version?

Alien8 likes this.
  5. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    I would say yes, especially if you want to get close to the Moog. It's not that the older versions don't do it, the upgrades refine what the old ones do. I love my first gen and won't be buying a v2, and I love the Moog. They are different, but the IE is the closest to the Moog with what I think is a feature set that sets it apart enough to warrant not only having, but loving both.

Jonny5bass and nshuman like this.
  6. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass Supporting Member

May 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I picked one up on a whim and this is now my "little" board...
    IMG_2138.JPG
    Well that's good to hear. I am definitely picking one up then. Apparently they will be in stock in about 2 weeks.

7. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Yikes, that makes that pedal appealing to me now...

Alien8 and Jonny5bass like this.
  8. Coughdrops

Coughdrops Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    I recently upgrade to the v2 xero deluxe. Great pedal. I mostly use it as a fixed low pass but occasionally use the envelope. I do like the slightly tweaked knob range over the v1, makes the freq sweep a little easier to dial in. Also agree that a light od boost in front of it can be great, especially when using the envelope.

I've thought about trying the Moog but given the size diff alone it just isn't worth it to me. The Xero crushes. My fav ridiculous thing is to put it behind an OC2 as a fixed low pass with a little clean blended in. On a big stage and huge PA it's like a massive 808 with insane subs. Nevermind all the crazy other filter sounds it can get.

Alien8 likes this.
  9. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    "Not a filter guy."

Something to note is that the expression port is exclusively for passive expression control, it does not accept CV.

That bummed me out... At first.

Then playing the pedal revealed that the range of the sensitivity and its response to a compressor or dirt going in made up for it. I can run a subtle tremolo on my signal into the XD and get a great LFO filter sound out, with minimal to no volume loss.

wyrtti, Jonny5bass and nshuman like this.
  10. Righto, ta for that everyone
    I''ve owned the V1 Xero Dlx before - this was years before I got the Moog and still fresh to filters, maybe I need to refresh my memory?

I think a V1 is all I'm going to need, I do remember it being pretty decent.
    I'm not really looking to switch the envelope on/off, just a good mwah sweep, so I don't think the added impossibility of hitting one footswitch instead of both on the V2 is worth it.
    Thanks everyone.

11. I'd love to try a xero, I love IE products, had an oxide since day 8.
    I can NEVER envisage parting company with my Moog LPF tho, big footprint ain't an issue for me considering how the thing sounds.
    Density Hulk, OC2 and Mastotron in front of it and an MP201 manipulating the cutoff and env amount- sonic bliss
    WOULD love to try out a xero tho.
    Good luck!!

Jonny5bass likes this.
  12. OOOoooooh don't worry, there'll be a deathmatch duel between the two before I consider selling the Moog.;)

ukedealer and Jonny5bass like this.
  13. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass Supporting Member

May 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I fully intend on keeping both!

ukedealer likes this.
  14. I got a v2 one for Christmas and it - is - the - BOMB! Being able to adjust the start of the cutoff with expression while the envelope follower is engaged is outrageous. The 4 pole filter is very wet and resonant.

The sensitivity control seems to have a broad range, but I have not tried it with a number of different basses. Plus my basses, active and passive, have quite similar output levels just by luck. Not identical but pretty close. But it seems like you can get the filter to respond to some pretty light signals.

Alien8 likes this.
  15. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    The Xero is great and very versatile. But NOTHING sounds quite like a Moog. The overdrive and fatness... drool

smo, ukedealer and wyrtti like this.
  16. This ^

17. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    I do agree.

The XD gets close with a fat overdrive set to just touch the edge of breakup in front. The drive in the Moog is a big part of the filter charm.

The XD is also faster and slower with its envelope and it has a direction option which are two of the big reasons I prefer it on my regular use board. The Moog used to travel with me along with the CP-251 & a custom gate box so I could use it as a triggered down filter. The added functionality, size, bypass etc of the XD made this a better choice with the small drawback of tone not being exactly the same and "true triggered filter" sounds.

No doubt that I will go back and use the Moog again (on the main board as opposed to mounted with the synth), but I'm digging the XD at the moment.

ukedealer and Jonny5bass like this.
  18. Maaaaaaan I MISS my CP251!!!!!!
    Procuring an MP201 eased the pain tho ;)

Alien8 likes this.
  19. I know dude, you're dead on. It's just the size that bugs me, I wish they'd release a mini-moog version.

Wait. Can a V1 Xero not do this too? What does the expression do then?
    This is one of the reasons I love using the exp with the Moog, if the Xero V1 cannot do this I'll be aiming at the V2.
    Help please!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  20. I am not sure, but Taylor at IE can tell you for sure.