Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alternative to Norton?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by NJL, Jul 27, 2005.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I have had it with Norton...Symantec has screwed me over again. I can't use Mozilla Thunderbird anymore....last night right after the "updates" from Symantec, my comp went to $***.

I am using Norton Internet Security 2005 - what would be a better, more reliable system? I need a new firewall and anti-virus..McCaffee (sp?) is out too....

:(

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I stopped using Norton Antivirus long, long ago because it's a real resource hogger. The only Norton product I use now is Norton SystemWorks' WinDoctor, and I don't even have it installed. I run it directly from the installation CD.

Two great antivirus I've found (resource-friendly and best of all, FREE) are Avast and AVG. As for firewalls, I started using ZoneAlarm, but that's another huge resource hogger. Now I use Sygate Personal Firewall, which works perfectly for me.

Hope this helps.

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Norton is a *****, it came with my new computer, and I decided to uninstall it because it blocked multiplayer stuff, and all of the sudden my internal clock was completely screwed over :mad:

All is well now though.

5. I've never bothered with any of that garbage software. It causes nothing but trouble. Just keep your computer clean and know what should and shouldn't be running.

6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Agreed, Norton is a real resource-hog.

However, McAfee is pretty good, if you know how to configure it.

What are you mostly interested in? Anti-virus? Spam-ware protection?

There's a whole "set" of stuff we need to be paying attention to these days, and there's no "simple solution" (IMO, and IME).

I'm not sure any single "suite" of software is going to do what you want, if I'm hearing you correctly.

For instance, I've got little toys like Sam Spade, that allow me to trace IP's back to their point of origin, and (let's see, I'll say this in a somewhat politically correct manner) - I've actually shut down several intrusion attempts with tools like that.

Most of the time, intrusions are more-or-less benign - mostly what you find out there is little kids with too much time on their hands.

But using tools like Sam Spade, and Snort, and that kind of thing, I've detected some "serious hackers", ranging from the NSA to idiot dweebs in New Jersey who find it jokingly funny to search for pRon on my machine(s) (of which there is none).

I have a massive network behind the firewall, and it has mutiple IP's, and I'd never "give up" to boneheads like Norton or McAfee. They're "good", as far as they go, but the bottom line is, they don't go very far.

Viruses and worms are the least of our concerns these days, IMO, and they're "low hanging fruit", they can be easily dealt with.

What's more insidious, is people from Pakistan and China lifting your personal information out of your computer, and the using to commit credit card fraud and that kind of thing. And in all fairness, that's coming from right here within the US too (especially from Florida, recently).

The only way to protect yourself against that kind of thing, IMO, is to be "proactive". Norton isn't going to cut it, and McAfee isn't going to cut it either.

You really need to investigate the tools that are out there, IMO. Some of them are a little bizarre, and perhaps difficult to install, but I can tell you for sure that they'll give you "enough" information.

Snort is a very good one, you can download it for free from here (assuming you're willing to read through the logs):

http://www.snort.org/

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    hey, guys, thanks for the replys!!!

Brian, I use Ad-Aware and Spybot for spyware/etc.

I use Zonealarm at work cause it's free...

At home, I use Norton Internet Security 2005 which covers Anti-Virus and Firewall...

As to spam, I use Mozilla Thunderbird and for a browser I use Firefox...

I am looking to replace Norton with THE BEST in firewall and anti-virus - I intend to pay for it too (although the freeware stuff looks great as well).

Keep in mind I have a small 2 comp network at home - one is via hardwire and the other is my laptop via WiFi G.

1) I don't want people snooping on my
    2) I don't want any virus crap
    3) I want no system lag or dragging resources
    4) I don't want it to mess with my other programs (unless it is set that way for security reasons)

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :D

yeah, yeah...I know!

;)

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Being the first one to reply to this thread, JMX again shows he reigns supreme in the software suggestion threads. :D

-Mike

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    agreed. He has helped me find many a free, and more importantly very good, utility etc.

Three cheers for our man in Cologne!

:bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

11. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  12. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Bumping an old thread...

My AVG "free" license just expired at work. What can I throw on there in the meantime? Obviously I'm looking for freeware.

13. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Norton sucks.
    MacAffee is too busy and requires too much attention.
    Nod 32 works really well.
    Additionally get Spybot and AdAware. :D

14. Norton is nice, but I'm getting a little tired of it myself. It came with our new laptop computer, and it seems very intrusive. I'm constantly getting "set this rule" or "Norton has detected this" when doing inoccuous stuff like surfing the web or running a new program. Coupled with Windows Vista, it's annoying. I think I'll uninstall it when our free 3 months expires.

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    free.grisoft.com

AVG Anti- Virus and Anti-Spyware

Then Spybot search and destroy, and Lavasoft Adaware.

16. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Uninstall, download the new version... install.. Done.

People and their viruses...

*hug*My Linux box*hug*

17. Some jerk told me AVG isn't going to have any free versions anymore, is there any truth to this? I think he was just blowing some hot air.