Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alternative to obligato.

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by mav, May 16, 2005.

1. mav

mav

Jun 10, 2003
    I'm sure this question has been asked before.
    I've got a set of Obligato's on my bass at the moment and I really like them but they've only lasted 10 months. I'm looking for a string that is similar but lasts longer.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    $10 or $12 a month isn't that expensive, is it? If you like the string, stick with it. Strings are things that wear out like brakes on a car -- just part of the expense of being a bass player.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I'm with Ray, but if it is really bugging you, you might consider using something like a Spirocore, Superflexible, Permanent or Flatchromesteel on the E and A and Obligato on the D and G.

All of the above are metal core strings and will last longer. You may only have to buy a new E and A every other swap out of the top strings.

As a bonus, you may better better output and clarity with your E and A with this setup.

The closest string I have come across to the Obligato is the Dominant. But, it doesn't last any longer and costs more.

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    If you go with a mixed set like that, I found Spiro Weichs to be a good pairing with Obligatos D and G.

I go through 2-3 sets of strings a year.

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I like the Dominants and superflex's.

with a spiro E .

6. Packinmn

Packinmn

Jun 21, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I recently tried a Sensicore E. I was actually hoping it would sound good with plain guts on the top strings (and I found for my situation it did not). However, in trying it out I couldn't help but notice how similar it felt and sounded to the Obligato E. I used them on that same bass previously for about a year. I never put the other Sensicores on, so I can't say how similar they are as a set but that E sure seemed familiar.

7. mav

mav

Jun 10, 2003
    I just happened to have a 6 month set of spiro weich in the top drawer. I'm thinkin i'll just buy the G & D Obli's, besides I always thought the Obli E was a little frabby and week.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, you're not the only one. I like all the others OK for metal strings but after playing guts a couple weeks, I'm totally over steel strings. Except for the E string. Plain gut E makes an Obligato sound like a Spirocore E tuned up a step.

9. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    Can anyone compare & contrast Obligatos with Superflexibles?

Which E & A might pair better with an Oliv D & G?

10. How about pairing Solo Superflexible E and A (F# and B) with Obligato D and G? Or will that put me back in Flab City?

11. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I went from Obligatos to Velvet 180s and I am very happy with them. They have many of the qualities that I like about the Obligatos. They are warm and round sounding with good depth and bow very well. Do a search on the 180s and read up a little.

Good luck on what ever you decide . . .