1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alternative to obligato.

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by mav, May 16, 2005.

1. mav

mav

Jun 10, 2003
    I'm sure this question has been asked before.
    I've got a set of Obligato's on my bass at the moment and I really like them but they've only lasted 10 months. I'm looking for a string that is similar but lasts longer.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    $10 or $12 a month isn't that expensive, is it? If you like the string, stick with it. Strings are things that wear out like brakes on a car -- just part of the expense of being a bass player.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I'm with Ray, but if it is really bugging you, you might consider using something like a Spirocore, Superflexible, Permanent or Flatchromesteel on the E and A and Obligato on the D and G.

All of the above are metal core strings and will last longer. You may only have to buy a new E and A every other swap out of the top strings.

As a bonus, you may better better output and clarity with your E and A with this setup.

The closest string I have come across to the Obligato is the Dominant. But, it doesn't last any longer and costs more.

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    If you go with a mixed set like that, I found Spiro Weichs to be a good pairing with Obligatos D and G.

I go through 2-3 sets of strings a year.

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I like the Dominants and superflex's.

with a spiro E .

6. Packinmn

Packinmn

Jun 21, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I recently tried a Sensicore E. I was actually hoping it would sound good with plain guts on the top strings (and I found for my situation it did not). However, in trying it out I couldn't help but notice how similar it felt and sounded to the Obligato E. I used them on that same bass previously for about a year. I never put the other Sensicores on, so I can't say how similar they are as a set but that E sure seemed familiar.

7. mav

mav

Jun 10, 2003
    I just happened to have a 6 month set of spiro weich in the top drawer. I'm thinkin i'll just buy the G & D Obli's, besides I always thought the Obli E was a little frabby and week.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, you're not the only one. I like all the others OK for metal strings but after playing guts a couple weeks, I'm totally over steel strings. Except for the E string. Plain gut E makes an Obligato sound like a Spirocore E tuned up a step.

9. larry

larry

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    Can anyone compare & contrast Obligatos with Superflexibles?

Which E & A might pair better with an Oliv D & G?

10. How about pairing Solo Superflexible E and A (F# and B) with Obligato D and G? Or will that put me back in Flab City?

11. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I went from Obligatos to Velvet 180s and I am very happy with them. They have many of the qualities that I like about the Obligatos. They are warm and round sounding with good depth and bow very well. Do a search on the 180s and read up a little.

Good luck on what ever you decide . . .