1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alternative to TI Jazz Flats for drop tuning

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mushroo, May 17, 2017.

1. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Long time TI Jazz flat users here. However, a new band I'm in tunes EbAbDBGb and also sometimes drops the Eb to Db. I'm finding that the TI's are just too loose for me in the drop tuning. My action is bottoming out and if I pluck hard, the string hits the pickup, which doesn't sound good.

I'm looking for suggestions, from people who know and love TI Jazz Flats, can you recommend another brand of flats that is in the ballpark in terms of feel and tone, but has slightly higher tension for low tunings? Thanks in advance!

2. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I don't really like TI flats but nothing else really comes close to their sound and feel in my experience. You might just have to try getting used to something new.

Or maybe TI BEAD flats could be tuned up.

Mushroo likes this.
  3. I've read some posts by a TB member who swears by the new Sadowsky BLUE label flats as the closest alternative to the TI flats. They do come in the standard 45-65-85-105, which should work out okay for the Eb tuning.

Sadowsky Blue Label Flatwound Bass Strings from Bass Strings Online

(Disclaimer: I have no personal experience with them.)

Yahboy and Mushroo like this.
  4. Here's one of the posts by @ljazz from another thread:

ljazz likes this.
  5. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    I'm in a band that tunes 1/2 step down. I use TI's on my jazz and have set action a tad higher to compensate. But my main bass for that gig is a Pbass which I use the Labella low tension flats. I set the bass up tuned a half down and they are perfect tension for 1/2 step down with nice low action.

Mushroo likes this.
  6. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    For closest tone to JF344 with Drop D tuning, Sadow Blk Label flat 45-105 maybe is your juice with little thick low end.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Mushroo likes this.
  7. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    I played Black Labels for a year tuned down a half step..... They don't sound anything like TI's..... Especially after they've broken in. They are scooped a touch (they sound really good on a Jazz, but not my thing on a P)

I haven't tried the Blue Labels down a half step yet, but they sound closer to TIJF's than anything else I've tried (actually a bit more girth in the low mids than TIJF's, so they sound thicker in the mix). If I were to be in a position where I was down a half step all the time again, I'd switch to the heavier gauge Blues and call it a day!

Yahboy and Mushroo like this.
  8. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i used TIJF tuned down for many years, never had issues. i'm now using GHS precision flats .40 .55 .75 .100 and similar tension but more of a classic flatwound type tone. pyramids have more tension but still have tons of mids (all nickel) like TI, but are more traditional sounding.