1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alternative to traditional Jazz pot covers

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Thumper, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    I'm looking at buying a Warmoth Jazz body, but don't want a pickguard. I REALLY dislike the look of a Jazz without a pickguard but sporting the chrome pot covers, to me it just looks wrong.

I'm considering having them do a body with rear pot routing so it just has the 3 holes for pots, buy then I'll need to find a painter (their body would then be unfinished), which I assume will be very expensive. Based on their pricing, paint adds about $190. I don't know anyone here in Utah who can do it, or what the price would be to spray one black.

I'm hoping someone here, being more creative than I am, can offer some suggestions. BTW, Warmoth Jazz bodies have an oval pot routing.

Thanks in advance....

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    When you say pot covers, do you mean knobs or chrome pickup and bridge covers?

Side note... Warmoth does great paint jobs and they are quite reasonably priced compared to sending it to someone to have done IMHO

selowitch likes this.
  3. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    The piece of chrome under Jazz knobs.

Beej likes this.
  4. I think he's talking about the chrome control cavity cover that the pots are mounted to.

In my opinion, the only reason to do away with the cover is if the body has exceptionally beautiful wood that is to be varnished, instead of covered with paint.

5. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Yes your right, I don't like the shape of the Fender cover without a pickguard, just my bias.

6. What kind of wood for the body? What about a different material besides chromed metal for the control cover? Say paint the body black and a black chrome cover or solid black or b/w/b pickguard material?

Also, Warmoth won’t paint their rear routed bodies? $190.00 is a decent price for what should be a good paint job.

All else fails, PM me. Seriously, last resort. :cool:

Edit: actually, before I agree to something stupid, there’s Joe’s Guitars in SLC. He builds, I think, but I remember an ad on KSL a year or two ago where he was looking for someone to finish his instruments. Maybe whoever is doing that can do yours. You’re still welcome to PM me though.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    wraub likes this.
  7. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Got it! As you may have already seen, Warmoth can do everything you want - back control cavity rout, holes drilled in surface, side mount jack, etcetera, including painting the body. Under 200 is not bad at all for quality custom paint. :thumbsup:

8. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Thanks for the input. I was thinking going roasted ash or alder, in which case, no paint. If I do paint, it will be black, b/w/b pickguard, and the chrome cover won't matter.

I'm looking at the delta cost between unpainted and painted bodies, I dont know what they would charge to add a simple black paint job.

I'm in love with this bass which I had put together, and it's 8 lbs 15 oz. I want the next to be closer to 8 lbs.
    20200804_192502.jpg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    postalflunkie, dave64o, N4860 and 8 others like this.
  9. Cool! I’m just up the road. Let me know if you need help with the assembly or set up.

Thumper likes this.
  10. Huw Phillips

Huw Phillips Life is like TV if the channel sucks change it Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2019
    Hoboken
    I have a kind of similar problem, I am amazed at the weight of the jazz bass control plate, I have made them out of pick guard material and they have come out great, this time I have an Audre pre that has a light as well as the pots so more problematic to move everything as the light is glued in place, however I see no option but to use pick guard material as the plate is super heavy imo good luck

Thumper likes this.
  11. DanGroove

DanGroove Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2017
    Texas
    What’s that white bass in your signature?

12. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
  13. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Jazz Pot Covers...
    upload_2020-8-8_12-33-17.jpeg

14. nilorius

nilorius Suspended

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    190$ for painted pick guard, i think it's much too much.

15. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Will do!

16. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Thanks for the pickguard material tip, I hadn't thought of that.

17. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    It is a Dingwall SJ5XXX, ebony blocks, ash body. I had them do a custom paint job, too my knowledge, they've never done another. It is the best 5er I've ever owned or played.
    20181127_170343.jpg

wraub likes this.
  18. DanGroove

DanGroove Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2017
    Texas
    i really like it! Fanned fret is on my wishlist. I just knocked Fretless off the list. Next will be 8 string or fanned fret. I may end up looking at something very similar to yours when i make that move.

Thumper likes this.
  19. Control plate is what's being discussed?

190 for paint is a great price. I think 300 was the best price i had seen anyone pay and it's been a minute since i saw that thread.

20. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Why not let Warmoth paint it or do it yourself? Or if you want to do something really easy, stain it and wipe on an oil finish over the stain.