alternative to Tru-oil

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jegroenig, Dec 21, 2004.

1. jegroenig

Nov 8, 2004
    I am refinishing a bass as was wondering if anybody has a good alternative to Tru-Oil.

Really would like to use Tru-Oil but due to some unfortunate time constraints and availability issues I was wondering if their would be something I could pick up at the local hardware store.

If I'm correct Tru-oil is a polymerized linseed oil with other oils added. Danish oil is also a Polymerized linseed oil without any other additiveds....would this work???

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I have heard good things about Danish oil but I have not tried it.......t
  3. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    TruOil is available in lots of places. You can find it in gun stores and I think Wal Mart carries it. I found mine in a shop that carried paints, varnishes and other wood working supplies. Not at all hard to find and use.
  4. M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    I don't think danish oil builds like tru-oil.
  5. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I use both Watco and Deft danish oils. I like the way it turns out. It's inexpensive and easy, no spraying, and fun to apply. I actually really like the smell of it now. The wood must be sanded appropriately for it to work well. I then finish the process with a paste wax. Works well for me, but I'm just starting out and may evolve to something different in the future.
  6. jegroenig

Nov 8, 2004
    Thanks for all the input...I just found a supplier of Tru-Oil.
    A small little gun shop about 3 hours away...i'm in a rural area so its tough to find most anything...but thanks for the input