alternatives for my fretless neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Zanyman42788, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Zanyman42788

Zanyman42788 Guest

Apr 15, 2004
    have a maple necked fretless bass. i dont liket he sound of flat wounds, and i really feel that my round wounds are "killing" my finger board. i actually am starting to feel it. would epoxy help preserve it? im not actually looking to replace it. if i can replce the maple board i would do that too i guess. im just looking for suggestions as to what i can do to preserve it.
    thanx in advance:)!
    (if an admin sees this in the pickups forum, i put it there by accident first, so if you possibly can, please remove it, thanx)
  2. Got yer answer right here!

Switch over to strings that are "half round", "compression wound", or "ground round". All of these names are for strings that begin life as a roundwound but are machined to a smooth outer surface. So what you get is a string with the flexibility (and tone) of the round outer windings but with a smooth feel that will help boards last much longer.

I personally use D'Addario XL Half-Rounds 45-105 and have since the late 70's.

Hope this helps
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The epoxy idea is a good one. I have heard of people using mylar film and some kind of adhesive to protest their fretboards. I have heard that it works quite well. I mean, mylar is some tough stuff!
  4. Zanyman42788

Zanyman42788 Guest

Apr 15, 2004
    if i were to epoxy it myself, what would i do? anybody do it befor? also, if i were to get it professionally done, how much would it cost.. is it worth it? so yeah, if you could, just kinda tell me... how to epoxy it.