Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alternatives for Rickenbacker sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stonewolf, Jan 26, 2002.

1. stonewolf

stonewolf

Jan 26, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Hello, I am new to the forum and this my first post. I have a Rickenbacker 4001 but am in the market for a new 5-string that can get that nice Rick 'growl' for progressive rock tunes. My budget is around 3k.
    What would you recommend? So far I am thinking about Alembic or Warwick based on my 2 favorite players: Gary Strater (Starcastle) and Pete Trewevas (Marillion). Thanks!

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Uhh...you could get a Ric 5 string.

3. stonewolf

stonewolf

Jan 26, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    I already have a Rick but would like something a bit more modern in terms of looks and materials but still able to get the sound I am used to.

4. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I understand you r dilemma. Plus, the rick fivers have string spacing like a gu*t@r! ;)

But sorry, I have no suggestions of my own.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL

I think that's the updated Ric 4004/5 that was just announced, with more modern cosmetics. I've heard the neck is a bit wider than the one on the 4003/5...

6. so waht you want is basically a modern bass that packs THE punch...am i right?

7. stonewolf

stonewolf

Jan 26, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    yes, a modern design (active electronics, ergonomic, flawless construction) that will still deliver a good growl sound suitable for progressive rock. ;) I like my Rick but after 15 years with it I feel a need for something a bit more exotic that will last me another 15 yrs. I really haven't been in the marketplace for some time and am not all familiar with basses like the rest of you guys and respect your opinions, please give me some brand names or options I should be aware of. thanks!

8. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    Get a Modulus Quantum 5. There's always good deals on used ones (or new ones) at Bass Northwest in Seattle (bassnw.com). I've bought all 3 of mine there and they're great folk. Flawless construction and within your said budget (around 2K).

9. I thought Rick 5-stringers are taken off the menu ?

10. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    You mentioned a couple "high-tech" basses as alternatives to the Rick sound. But I still gotta throw in my two cents. When I think Rick sound I think of two cats; Chris Squire and Geddy Lee. Both pretty much defined the Rickenbacker sound. What else do both these people play and get the Rick sound out of?

Fender Jazz basses.

If you don't mind going "low tech", I say buy a high-end passive Fender, or maybe even a vintage Fender.

11. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    This is the first time ive ever welcomed someone to talkbass!Welcome stonewolf,you'll have fun here,and learn alot of stuff,and you WILL be addicted to it.

12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    They just announced new 5 and 8 stringers at NAMM like the picture above. They're based on the 4004 series...

13. Hi Stonewolf and welcome,

Are you the same Stonewolf from the PRS guitar forum?

As someone else has mentioned a high-end Fender jazz bass then consider my favorite, a Sadowsky jazz bass. I have one with an ash body and maple 'board. When you solo the bridge pickup and dig in with your fingers 'picking' near the bridge (no plastic pick mind you), the sound is terrific for that style and those tones. A lot fatter and not the same but reminiscent and applicable. Anyway, just my .02

14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I really, REALLY want to try that 5 string Rick. Really. Where's the sedated smiley? :)

I do agree with the Modulus suggestion, though. A Modulus with steel strings and Barts (EMGs would be too much, IMO) would be killer. Ive seen Quantums for as low as $1200 if you really look.

15. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    speaking about high end basses, you can dial a lot with the onboard preamp. it's not easy but not impossible ti have a sound similar to a rick. the bass that i have tried that was the closest was a 5 stringed F bass. check them out!

16. stonewolf

stonewolf

Jan 26, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks for the suggestions and links, there's lots of good info on this forum. JimS - yeah it's me. I'll have to check the Fender suggestions because they are easiest to find. I tried a Modulus long time ago when they were neck-through-construction. Great sustain and electronics, but I prefer all wood in the long run. I think Geddy used a Wahl in addition to the Fender at one time, the one with the big pickups. Later...:cool: