alternatives to american j

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hexagram49, Mar 27, 2005.

1. hexagram49

Mar 27, 2005
    hey guys, im new to tb and to the bass
    i want to get a 4 string bass with j style pups, and i was wondering if i need to spend that much money to get the quality of a mia fender.
    any suggestions? or am i looking for a bass that doesnt exist?
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Japanese Fenders (can import or buy used) or look for an old Hamer Cruise Bass with 2-tek bridge. For about $500-700 you can get a bass that's better in some ways.
  3. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass is a Made in Japan Fender and everyone here who owns one absolutely loves it. It has a thinner neck than your standard Jazz bass, though. I believe the Fender Aerodynes are Made in Japan as well.

And if you don't like the pickups, you can replace them with DiMarzio UltraJazz (or a Split P if the bass you get has a P pickup) or something.

Otherwise, go to music stores and try a bunch out in your price range to see what feels, plays, and sounds good to you. Finding a good budget 4-string with jazz pups isn't too difficult. The Yamaha BB404 is pretty nice. Yamaha basses are well made, and play & sound quite good. My housemate has a Yamaha BB series 5-string and it's a great bass.
  4. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Used MIA Jazz basses (the nothin' fancy kind) sell all day long for 500-600 dollars.

Not that there aren't options, and some good ones have already been mentioned, but you could just go ahead and get a used MIA Jazz.
  5. hexagram49

Mar 27, 2005
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Another vote for the Geddy Lee Jazz. I prefer mine to most USA examples I have played.
  7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

The Geddy Lee Jazzes are a real bargain. There is a brand new one on ebay right now; too bad I've already sprung for a new Lakland!!! :D
  8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Used USA Hamer Cruise.