Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

alternatives to american j

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hexagram49, Mar 27, 2005.

1. hexagram49

hexagram49

Mar 27, 2005
    hey guys, im new to tb and to the bass
    i want to get a 4 string bass with j style pups, and i was wondering if i need to spend that much money to get the quality of a mia fender.
    any suggestions? or am i looking for a bass that doesnt exist?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Japanese Fenders (can import or buy used) or look for an old Hamer Cruise Bass with 2-tek bridge. For about $500-700 you can get a bass that's better in some ways.

3. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass is a Made in Japan Fender and everyone here who owns one absolutely loves it. It has a thinner neck than your standard Jazz bass, though. I believe the Fender Aerodynes are Made in Japan as well.

And if you don't like the pickups, you can replace them with DiMarzio UltraJazz (or a Split P if the bass you get has a P pickup) or something.

Otherwise, go to music stores and try a bunch out in your price range to see what feels, plays, and sounds good to you. Finding a good budget 4-string with jazz pups isn't too difficult. The Yamaha BB404 is pretty nice. Yamaha basses are well made, and play & sound quite good. My housemate has a Yamaha BB series 5-string and it's a great bass.

4. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Used MIA Jazz basses (the nothin' fancy kind) sell all day long for 500-600 dollars.

Not that there aren't options, and some good ones have already been mentioned, but you could just go ahead and get a used MIA Jazz.

5. hexagram49

hexagram49

Mar 27, 2005
    muchas grassy ass

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Another vote for the Geddy Lee Jazz. I prefer mine to most USA examples I have played.

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

The Geddy Lee Jazzes are a real bargain. There is a brand new one on ebay right now; too bad I've already sprung for a new Lakland!!! :D

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Used USA Hamer Cruise.