1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alternatives to Ampeg SVT-4 PRO?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lttoler, Mar 11, 2009.

1. lttoler

lttoler

Dec 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Our bass player is looking to upgrade amps. He is currently using an old Hartke amp that has been giving us trouble lately. We tried a few amps and loved the Ampeg SVT4 PRO, but before we bought something, I wanted to see if any of you thought there is a better option in this price range. We arent made of money so anything that sounds as good and is cheaper would be great too. We play in a cover band doing mainly top 40 hits. Thanks in advance :)

2. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Well... First of all, this is all IMO.
    That said, I find the SVT-4 Pro to be the most anemic, overrated, quiet, mid scooped and shy amp of it's category... Pretty much any amp in this price range will sound a lot bigger and a lot better.

Any of the following amps would be a better option for less or equal money:

GK800RB
    GK1001RB II
    Acoustic Image Clarus or Focus
    Genz Benz Shuttle or GBE Series
    Carvin B1500

or if you need the Ampeg tone, any of their ALL TUBE amps...

3. Gallien- Krueger Fusion 550 3 tube preamp 500 watts of G-K goodness

4. lttoler

lttoler

Dec 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Thanks a lot! We tried a friends GK1001RB for a few practices and it sucked. Maybe we just had a lemon or something? It just seemed bland and sterile and had no punch compared to our other setup. anymore opinions?

5. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    SWR SM-500? I much prefer mine over the SVT4 I used to own.

6. carvin b1500. especially if your bassist likes the look of an SVT4.

That + a VT bass or BDDI= ampeg tone, for around half the price (buying used) than a new 4pro!

7. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Maybe... Are you sure it was the Mark II version? I ask because that amp is 4x louder and punchier than the SVT4-Pro...

8. bass.player

bass.player

May 30, 2006
    Belgium
    I sold mine and bought an EBS Fafner. Never looked back. A Markbass LMII would be a nice candidate as well.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Any amp + VT Bass pedal would not only get it done but it would sound even better than the SVT 4 Pro. I've used the VT in a lot of different amps that sound nothing like Ampegs and it makes them all sound like Ampegs. And it does it for $150 new. The SVT 4 Pro is a good amp, but it doesn't sound nearly as tubey as a VT despite the VT having no tubes. I would never spend what Ampeg wants for an SVT 4 Pro when you could spend $200 or $300 on a decent little solid state head like a GK or something and add a VT and cop the tones of the real deal all-tube Ampegs.

10. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    If you like the sound of the 4 Pro get it. If you run the amp bridged it has plenty of power for ANY gig. I've used them for about 12 years now and well over 1,000 shows with never a disappointment.

11. +1. Tech 21 basically stole every smart, budget conscious bassist who cares more about their sound than their brand. I love it, especially with LOUD f***ing it up so bad with the 'peg

12. b1500 has more power, can also run 2 ohms, and if you look on youtube you can see a carvin tech tossing one around in a parking lot and not being able to break it.

just my .02 of course, but since i learned about the b1500 any hopes of me owning a 4pro went out the window