1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alternatives to Backline 600 head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scalestein, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Scalestein

Scalestein

Dec 6, 2005
    I posted on here a while ago my dilemma of owning a GK Backline 250, 2x10 200 watt cab but not owning a head to use it with. I got recommendations for the GK Backline 600 and have been looking for a used one for quite some time now with no luck. I've got a band now and a head is needed pronto. So my question to you is:

What are some good alternatives to the backline 600 that I could also look for?

2. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Same price range? Maybe the Ashdown Mag 300? I would go with the GK BL600 for $299 though. You could also upgrade to a GK 400RB-IV if you want MIA...

3. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I really like GK, but i've never tried the Backline series. I own a 800RB, and I love it. I would not recommend Behringer, but I was pleasantly surprised about 2 weeks ago when I tried a Hartke head. Not outstanding, but not bad at all, IMO.

4. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    From Lync:
    Same price range? Maybe the Ashdown Mag 300? I would go with the GK BL600 for $299 though. You could also upgrade to a GK 400RB-IV if you want MIA...

I agree with the Ashdown, but the 400RB, although it sounds really good, I've found to not quite do it when playing rock with a moderately loud drummer. It seems to struggle at high volumes. One of the equiped rehearsal halls I use to play in had these heads, but I still brought mine.

5. Scalestein

Scalestein

Dec 6, 2005
    My price range is 200-250 ideally. The GK 600 is my first choice currently, but I can't seem to find any used ones.

The ashdown says it puts out 300 watts at 4 ohms. My cab is rated at 200watts and is 8 ohms. Will the ashdown be putting 300 watts into my cab or will it cut it to 150 or so?

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    150 or so. The rule of thumb is that the 8-Ohm power is just a bit higher than half of the 4-Ohm power.

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    For 200 to 250, used but not thrashed Hartke 3500 would do nicely. I think that one is 200 or 240 in 8. If you do that, put it in a rack, even if you have to build one for it.

I like the GK 400 a lot but into 8 ohms that's marginal power. Probably better form a tonality stand point but at that end of the market, you should probably opt for more power and then move up to a GK 700 or 1001 when you can afford to do so.