Alternatives to Ernieball Sliky's

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by killer B, Jan 29, 2001.

1. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    I tried putting a set of ernieball Slinky's on my Spector NS-5 (chech version) and the .130 B string was too thick to fit through the bridge. I've never had this problem on my other 5 which is a drag as I really like the sliky's. Can anyone recomend some other brand of strings that is similar or possibly better. I'm leaning toward nickel but am open to anything and am looking for an aggressive sound that can be warm and fat when I back off the treble. Thanks. Oh, yeah the B string has to be a .130
  2. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    I forgot to mention that I'm thinking a set with a taperwound B would be best. Thanks.
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Fender makes the 8255 nickel roundwound in the guages you desire. I think both the E and B are taperwound. It looks like D'Addario Slowwounds have a taperwound B. They will also sell you a single taperwound B in the XL/EXL series. Ken Smith makes the Nickel Burners in a set with a .130 tapered B.
  4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I would suggest some D'Addario XL's. To me, Ernie Balls and D'Addarios have always seemed the same. I think that D'Addario is now only using tapered B-stings with their bass string sets (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)-Just make sure you get a newer set.