1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Alternatives to fEARful 15/6

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SplinteredSkull, Sep 28, 2013.

1. After doing a lot of looking around and discussion on TalkBass, I had determined that the fEARful was a great cab and one that I wanted to get. Recently, I stumbled upon a couple others I would like to inquire about:

The Avatar TB153
    and
    Low Down Sound Cabs

How do these compare to the fEARful design? They are cheaper: so does quality/sound suffer at all, or is it just because they are made in bulk instead of having to get the materials and make it yourself? Has anyone had both an Avatar and a fEARful?

2. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Barefaced cabs are another way to go. LDS cabs aren't necessarily going to be legitimate fEARful cabs. A lot of them are built to what the customer wants, regardless of if it is the most correct way to build in terms of voicing. If you want something with towering lows and highs, with huge volume capabilities and low weight fEARful/fEARless is the way to go.

3. I looked into Barefaced cabs, but they were more expensive than building a fEARful. LDS honestly didn't seem like it would be as up to snuff, but I figured I'd ask. And so does the Avatar cabinet not fare well against the fEARful? Both use the Kappalite 3015LF and have a 6 inch mid

4. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Don, at LDS, is a one man, one-off show, and does not " mass produce " cabs. He will build what you ask him to build, along with his own two cents thrown in, one at a time. The Avatar version of this type of design is probably not as close to the fEARful design as others might be. If you have played a fEARful, and like it alot, then there are a few authorized builders who can build one as per Greenboy's specs for you. That would be the way to go, imho. The three way cab is not a new design, and there are others, ( Barefaced, Xsonics ), who make a different " flavor " of this type of cab, but, if you are in love with the fEARful, then go for that.

5. Had a Avatar TB153 and as nice and reasonably priced it is, there is no way it could ever compete with my 15/6/1. I doubt if 2 TB153's could match a single fEARFUL.

6. Well, I guess the fEARful simply is one of the best cabs you can get

7. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    You get what you pay for... 'cept when you don't.

Buy/build a fEARful and you get a lightweight cab with an optimized bracing scheme, fARTfree® porting and drivers that exceed the task at hand + an upgradable* crossover network incorporating parts that exceed power handling requirements. Also your cab will be part of a modular family of designs which allows concatenating multiple units without losses to mis-matched sensitivity or directivity.

Those Barefaced cabs look well designed to me but I haven't sampled one... OTOH I have purchased products from both LDS and Avatar and they do not exhibit the benefits listed above... instead I experienced a hodgepodge disappointments = boxes not built to spec'd dimension, heavy boxes, insufficient bracing, farting ports, piss-poor crossovers, dodgy mid and tweeter drivers with sketchy Lpad arrangements and no engineered concatenation options.

My $0.02

*http://greenboy.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2719
    http://greenboy.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3253

PS: IMO you should take my advice [everyone's advice] with a grain of salt, but at least demo a fEARful before laying your money down... the try one/buy one ratio for these cabs is very high. See the user map at the bottom of the linked pages above to search for an owner or builder in your area willing to help you arrange a test drive of a fEARful.

8. rollopizza

rollopizza

May 17, 2006
    UCLA, OHIO
    Bergantino NV115 is a 15/6 but it's a sealed cab. Way different beast but I'd figure I'd throw it in. and it is a beast.
    rp

9. Dom5string

Dom5string

May 4, 2013
    Another nod to Xsonics. 2 week trial, how cool is that!

10. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    +1

Further, I am not really sure I understand how these other cabs are alternatives. The Avatar TB153 and LDS nEARfuls are the closest you'll get. The Xsonics and others are completely different tonally.

11. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Well, this could degenerate into another fEARful vs. LDS vs. Avatar vs. etc. slamfest. As others have stated, the best thing to do is find a fEARful dealer near you and arrange to try one out. LDS has PLENTY satisfied customers, as does Avatar, Barefaced, Xsonics, Baer, & Glasstone, but they aren't fEARfuls. I am a fEARful fan. I think Greenboy's cabs and his network of AB's are AWESOME, but I can't afford one and I'm not even remotely interested in building one, so I went another direction.

All the new "super cab" builders have outstanding products and any of them might have something that would work perfectly for you.

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    If you've played/heard a fEARFul or Fearless and liked it, that's what you should get.
    They are a very specific thing.

If you've "read about them and now you want one" you need to demo one.
    As nice as they are, they may yet "not be your flavor."

They are indeed a fine thing, if they serve your needs.

13. I have not played one, and I'm not sure there is anyone local that has one I can play through. However, from all I have read, researched, and discussed here on TB: it's my understanding that they are a very efficient, loud, and full range cabinet that colors your tone less than other brand name speakers. And they were specifically designed around a top notch speaker. If this is the case, then it is right up my alley.

14. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Having owned 4 fEARfuls that is indeed the case.

Best of luck on your search.

15. I also heard that they are a cab that puts out what you put in. As in they aren't voiced for a specific genre.

16. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
  17. Steering back to the topic of alternatives; it sounds like cabs such as the Avatar and LDS are not "as good" as the fEARfuls. Then alternatives such as Bergantino and Barefaced cost more than it would cost me to build a fEARful; a comparable lower-cost alternative was somewhat a hope for the thread.

18. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    if you want to build yourself, you really wont find anything lower cost...... you can build one for around $700 or less depending on what you do. As for other builders building for less, yeah i am sure they can........ but are you going to be happy with it or not......or will you always be wondering.....hmmmm i wonder if a True fEARful would of been better! Hey Maybe you might find something cheaper that works perfect for you and does everything you want....and if So GREAT!!...... In the end it dont matter what I or anyone else say.....you are the one stuck with it and playing it...... so you have to decide if a Cheaper not so fEARful cab is going to cut the bill for you!.....let your ear guide you and Have Fun while doing it!! :) ~Elliot

19. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    They are not geared to a specific genre and are on the flat-ish spectrum. However, in my opinion they do have a subtle voice.