Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alternatives to Nitrocellulose Finishes??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by count_funkula, Jun 21, 2004.

1. What are some good, easy to apply, alternatives to a nitrocellulose based finish. I want to finish a bass in a glossy, solid color finish.

I have used the nitrocellulose stuff in the past and don't like dealing with the fumes. Last time, with a respirator and good ventilation I still developed a nasty cough and sore throat by the time I finished.

Thanks.

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Almost any spray-finish is going to have fumes. Seems like you'd probably want a spray finish for solid colors.

Nitro is actually rather tame compared to what some people are spraying. I've sprayed polyuerethane and it's different, but as bad, and I liked the nitro better for high gloss.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Here's a question for you FBB...

Why is it, you can get a good quality sprayed Poly finish, for so much cheaper than you can get a good quality Nitro job done for.

Case in point, you can get Warmoth to do a translucent finish for a mere $165. Other finishers such as Roxy, will charge $240. But, as soon as you start pricing Nitrocelluose finishes, it gets in the 300-400 dollar range?

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Not sure I can explain the price difference. The poly that I used came in a can. The Nitro was spray rig.

The Nitro is a magnificent finish and was much harder to get right - lots of wet sanding and polishing. The poly was nice but the spray can stuff is not the best. Better suited for a satin finish, IMO. In the end the nitro is easier to do repairs with since the new lacquer will melt into the old. Not sure poly will be so kind. This is why the acoustic dudes that work next door to me use nitro.