1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alternatives to Preamp or Tone Control

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rogerbmiller, Apr 11, 2006.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Hello everyone.

I am building my first bass (out of parts) and am considering doing somehting a little unorthadox to the electronics. I am wondering what type of readily available electronics I could use for a tone control that would work either as a wide mid-range sweep or a low pass filer, ala Wal bass. Can I accomplish this with a certain type of tone pot? Is such a tone control or filter available through an electronics supplier that might be mounted into a bass?

Please excuse my ignorance in asking this question. I am less than technically inclined but I learn very fast so your experience and feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Roger

2. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

When you say a mid-range sweep do you mean a mid cut that can have it's center frequency swept? So you would want a knob for level and for sweep?

3. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    I am not sure how to describe it other than I want to manipulate the mids such that when I turn the pot it almost sounds like a wah pedal or a dynamic filter.

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Then get a wah pedal or a dynamic filter :smug:
    But really, you can't tweak knobs constantly while playing, it's easier to do with a pedal.
    Otherwise, mid-eqs with adjustable freqs only come in a few active preamps. AFAIK, Aguilar OBP-3, East U-Retro, Noll and maybe some others.

5. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Yeah. I don't wan't to spin the knob while playing to get a wah effect. I want the knob to give the same dynamic range when adjusted to its desired position. This is essentially what happens when you turn the tone knobs on a Wal-- it sounds like someone saying A-E-I_o_u. The preamp on my Heartfield basses also sound like that.

Anyone else have any thoughts? Can a low pass filter do this, and where can I buy one to install in a bass?

6. A low pass filter won't work for what you are describing. Try searching google using bass mid sweep. You'll get plenty of results.