Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Alton Brown is my hero.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Oct 27, 2005.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If not for him, I never would have considered making my own peanut brittle. I love Good Eats, and his cookbook rocks. ("I'm Just Here for the Food" is better than the followup.)

I <3 Alton Brown.

2. Was it easy to make? I like me some peanut brittle.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I haven't made it yet. But it looked easy. :D Here's the recipe:

Peanut Brittle
    Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
    Show: Good Eats
    Episode: Tricks for Treats

Alton Brown
    Recipe Summary
    Difficulty: Medium
    Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Inactive Prep Time: 30 minutes
    Cook Time: 20 minutes
    Yield: 4 cups

Ratings and Reviews
    User Rating: 4 Stars
    Rate Recipe Read Reviews Ratings & Reviews FAQ

1 1/2 cups lightly salted, roasted peanuts
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    3 cups sugar
    1 1/2 cups water
    Vegetable oil, for coating the saucepan
    Softened butter for spatula

In a small bowl combine peanuts, cinnamon, and cayenne. Set aside.

Brush the inside of a medium sized heavy saucepan with vegetable oil. Add the sugar and water to the saucepan, cook over high heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until it comes to a boil. Stop stirring, cover and cook for 3 minutes. Uncover, reduce heat to medium, and cook until the sugar is a light amber color. Stir in peanuts. This will greatly reduce the temperature of the sugar so work quickly. Once evenly mixed, pour mixture onto a sheet pan lined with a silicone baking mat or buttered parchment paper. Using a buttered spatula, spread thin. You will have to work quickly when pouring out and spreading the mixture in the pan. If necessary, in order to achieve single layer of peanuts, top with second sheet pan whose underside has been buttered. Cool completely and then break into pieces.

4. Sweeeet, that looks awesome. Ill have to make some of that when I get a chance. Thanks

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Alton's show is good, a little on the overly cooky side sometimes though.

He taught me alot about making pasta, cooking with tomatos, potatos, pie crust, cakes, BBQ, and bread.

-Mike

6. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    I like how he often goes into the science of what happens in certain cooking situations. He also gives many great tips and tricks that I would never think about.

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep. --his show on chocolate was great.

8. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I like his show too, though I always forget it's on. I also like that show Unwrapped which goes behind the scenes on different foods/brands/etc.

9. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Alton Brown isn't anywhere as fun to look at as Rachael Ray, but he's one of the most entertaining cooking show hosts I've ever seen. If Monty Python did cooking shows, they would probably resemble Good Eats in lots of ways.

I loved his show on beer making.