1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

aluminium or steel foil shield?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ingemar, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Does aluminium or steel foil (as you can buy in a common supermarket) under the picguard on a P bass, woork as shield for the electronic ?

2. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    It will work fine. It's hard to solder to and a pain to get around corners and other tight spots, but that won't matter for pickguard use.

FYI, The traditional "back of the volume pot" star-grounding method doesn't eliminate ground loops with a shielded 'guard unless you leave off or electrically isolate the ground connection on the output jack. Not a big deal at all, but you may want to do your grounding differently if you're into the whole star-grounding thing.

3. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Uh, try copper. I got a fairly large roll of about .002" copper foil at the local craft store for something like $4. It won't rust, forms quite easily, and is a dream to solder. Aluminum foil would be better than nothing, but I would be looking pretty hard at "nothing" if that was all I had . . . . I just did a full shield (cavities and all) with the copper stuff, and it worked out great. Not as easy as conductive paint, but probably a better shield in the long run.

- Tim

4. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I used aluminium tape on my Dean and it works well... the biggest advantage of copper is the ability to solder to it. I think the physical contact of the potentiometer cases will eliminate ground loops, so this may not be all that important.

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    The better copper stuff actually has conductive adhesive as well. That can cut some soldering out of the equation.

6. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Thanks for your answers