Aluminum Acoustic Double Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by dhergert, Apr 8, 2019.

1. marcox

marcox

Dec 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    Congrats! That’s the first Pfretzschner aluminum I’ve seen with vestiges of the original finish.

zootsaxes likes this.
  2. zootsaxes

zootsaxes Inactive

Mar 6, 2015
    D748ED48-3DE3-4F30-8F43-FEC3F108B0E7.jpeg Ya'll, this thing is neat as hell, but it's not without its problems. I'm going to have to pop the top off pretty soon because my buddy I bought it from put this funky internal microphone mounted on a hose on a dowel in the lower block that's got to go. It's missing a couple screws along the top and I figure I'm going to probably have to refelt it to get all the little rattles to abate. The bridge is setup relatively flat right now, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to recut it because it feels kind of awkward and is impossible to bow. No big deal, though - I might try to track down that crazy ass aluminum bridge system (Deuce?) I read about on here the other day, but money is tight right now after this purchase. I've got a new Kolstein bridge with ebony adjusters here I might throw on it, but it seems like it might be a little too big... I might polish it down one day and get really into it, but first and foremost I want to milk its playability as much as possible. I kind of like the funky Terminator-esque finish its got now. As far as strings are concerned, it came Spiro/gut, but I think a full set of gut might be more appropriate to mellow out it's inherent harsh, if you will... I'm not crazy about this aluminum tailpiece, but again am hesitant to invest any more money into this at present if I can avoid it.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    Wannabass and Keith Rawlings like this.
  3. zootsaxes

zootsaxes Inactive

Mar 6, 2015
    I forgot to mention: check out this neck! Best lookin neck in my whole fleet. Not crazy about the inlaid dots, but it feels and looks great!

D37A99D0-F15D-4E5B-9443-5F069660D26F.jpeg F7CBF634-59B9-4CE6-83BB-58A40DBDC827.jpeg image.jpg

Wannabass, Keith Rawlings and marcox like this.
  4. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    An original painted finish on a Pfretzschenr is incredibly rare. Nice score!

You can see how useless the paint formulas were back then for adhering to aluminum; 1920s paint on 2025 series aluminum. That is why ALCOA took so much pride in their 50 step patented process for their finishes.

5. zootsaxes

zootsaxes Inactive

Mar 6, 2015
    image.jpg I tweaked some setup stuff on The Terminator, lowered the G and E to make more in my spec for occasional arco stuff. Spiro Mitt E, Weich A, and my highest tension gut D/G strings - I’ll be able to use this bridge/pup combo. The rattles all seemed to settle on their own (??? I’m not complaining!) , but I’m still on que to take her apart and refelt eventually. All in all pretty pleased.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  6. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    A brown Sharpie will cover over the dots.

james condino and zootsaxes like this.
  7. zootsaxes

zootsaxes Inactive

Mar 6, 2015
    Hahah, not on this one…

strigidae likes this.
  8. strigidae

strigidae

Jan 24, 2020
    Thats awesome! Its a beautiful bass with a lot of patina history there. Good find!

9. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Companies even into the late 60s / early 70s were struggling with finishes on aluminum. I've got a 68'ish squareneck aluminum body Dobro made by Rudy Dopyera in his Mosrite workshop, which originally sported a dark sunburst. Every hint of the finish has chipped away. This Dobro probably uses a different alloy than Alcoa's 2025, but very similar results.

james condino likes this.
  10. zootsaxes

zootsaxes Inactive

Mar 6, 2015
    I had to pull back some of the paint to access screws to tighten all the wood bits inside my Pfretz, and now I’m considering stripping it down and buffing it shiny.

The paint itself smells kind of nasty and I am concerned about lead (4 small kids at home) … Also, I’ve been wondering if stripping the lacquer improves response and/or tone to any noticeable degree?

11. james condino

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

12. zootsaxes

zootsaxes Inactive

Mar 6, 2015
    There’s a lot of controversy in the saxophone world about lacquer on horns dampening vibes, etc, but I notice a difference. I figured since the Pfretz is painted on the inside, though, that dampening vibrations on this boat might actually be desirable. I am actually concerned about lead in the paint, tho - should I be? It chips pretty easily and I’ve got an almost two year old that tries to eat off the floor for sport and entertainment.

13. james condino

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Did 'zoot keel over from covid or did he just get kicked off for mouthing off to the admins?

14. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Hmmm, I know noooo thing. These days, I just hope he's ok.

15. Ed S

Ed S

Nov 14, 2019
    I thought in another thread he said he was going to quit the forum because he was upset about something.

I thought it unfortunate at the time. His was an interesting perspective.

16. Keith Rawlings

Keith Rawlings Gold Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Zoot just disappeared near the end of August. I was conversing with him via DM about one of his basses for sale too. He did a nice repair thread for one of his American Standard basses which was really informative and I always appreciate threads/comments from those who come from different instruments to bass as they have great perspective on melody. He was a good dude too.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021 at 6:18 PM
  17. marcox

marcox

Dec 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    He left after the "breaking in a new bass" thread began discussing brass instruments.

Breaking in a New Bass

18. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    I think he inactivated himself. Too bad, really.

19. Ed S

Ed S

Nov 14, 2019
    That photo of his upthread, w/ the mic inside the bass reminded me of a vid I recently saw of one of my fave clawhammer players - Jake Blount. Dig his "favorite amplification setup"! ;) In my favored performance styles/setting, lowtech is generally tough to beat! :D

20. Keith Rawlings

Keith Rawlings Gold Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2019
    I talked to Zoot last night via text and he voluntarily deactivated his account to take a break from social media. He is fine and will be back.

Joshua, dhergert and marcox like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021