Aluminum Bass - Looking for new info

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Larry Mysz, Sep 12, 2002.

1. A friend just bought an aluminum bass that has been in storage since the mid 1950's. The bass is in fair condition, other than needing a setup and new sound post.

It has an aluminum body, neck, and headstock, with welded, rather than screwed, seams. The simulated woodgrain paint job was applied at the factory. And it has an unusual, four footed, all aluminum bridge.

The bass has a certain metallic ring to it, and it booms like a cannon, even tho the sound post is currently missing.

I was wondering if anyone has solid info on which companies made basses like this? I searched archives in this forum and the 2xBassList, but the aluminum bass articles are very short on manufacturer details.

2. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    I'm not sure that they had sound posts to start with. How ever I don't see how they would work with out one.

Look around the list here there was a thread about metal bass' a while back.

3. Joe,

This one has a 2 inch square platform on the inside back and front to hold the post. Of course that doesn't guarantee that a post was ever installed.

We were also looking for info on the 4 footed bridge.

The Aluminum bass posts here and on 2xBassList were focused on what aluminum basses sound like ... but there was nothing on tracking down the makers or on manufacturing details of the basses.

4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I've seen a four footed metal bridge around on wood as well as aluminum basses. I seem to remember someone in the midwest making them.

I've searched as well, and other than that single old article posted online, which doesn't have much specific information, I've not seen much that is useful.
  5. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I've encountered aluminum basses made by Pfretschner and Grumman. The four-footed bridge is new to me. My guess is that it helps keep the bridge in place during rough use, or when it's being rowed...
  6. Thanks.

I'll see what I can chase down thru Pfretschner and Grumman.

7. Bwaaahaaa.
    Must be leftover aluminum from Grumman aircraft.
    I heard some of these basses had cast iron bridges - seriously!