Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aluminum Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lobster_boy, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Hello, My friend said he used to own an aluminum bass he bought from a garage sail and i am very interested and was wondering if andone out there has ever seen one, if so what brand makes them and how much do they cost. Any info would help me alot.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Why is there this difference - everybody else calls it aluminium - can't people in the US pronounce this? How about elements like Morbidium, Strontium, Magnesium, Potassium etc. ?
    Do you feel an urge to say "Potassum", "Magnesum" ? :confused:

And you put sails on your garages? Is this like a mobile home - sailing down the road? "- A confused European".

3. Good question, Bruce: actually got the old dictionary out for this one. According to Webster's, "aluminium" is chiefly the British pronunciation of the word "aluminum."
    I'm glad to know this because hearing it pronounced "aluminium" always set my teeth on edge, the way hearing "nucular" for "nuclear"
    does. You say potato...
    Guess we'll have to get a Babel Fish!

oh, ummm, as far as the originial <g> question:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~jasband/AluminumBass.html
    All Hail Bob G.

4. Bruce Lindfield

No doubt that this was a US dictionary!!

But if you look at a periodic table or any list of elements, it's quite clear that most of the recent names have been made by just adding "ium" to an existing word - the most obvious example being "Einsteinium" - which makes it clear that you take a word like Einstein and add "ium". So it's patently clear that it should be Aluminium!! :mad:

5. Bruce Lindfield

Oh and also if you study the periodic table, Aluminium is grouped with and is most closely related to : Magnes - ium and Sod - ium.

Do you say Magnesum or Sodum?

6. you guys really dont have lives. but if you have any info on aluminium tell me.

7. Bruce Lindfield

8. Can't argue with your logic, Bruce. :)

9. Bruce Lindfield

Well yes it seems so logical for it to be -ium, that I can't understand why or how Americans are comfortable with this. If I was in school in the US, I would be saying to the teacher - but why? All European nations, with differing languages, still have the 'i' included, just makes no sense to me!

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Sigh. You guys...

Anyway, my uncle (five years older than me, and more like a brother) has a '70s Kramer aluminum necked bass that weighs a ton and sustains for years, but it still has a wood body. Could that be what he's thinking of?

I'm sure someone, somewhere has built a bass entirely out of aluminum. Right off the top of my head, it's been done for guitars by Jackson:

[​IMG]
    Image courtesy Ed Roman's World Class Guitars

11. I guess that because the original question was posted on the DB side of the board, I assumed that it was about alumin(i)um double basses. Now in rereading it I see that there could be a question of whether BG or DB was meant.
    Did you all check out the link to Bob's page that I gave above?
    I think I saw a pic of a Kramer bass once--don't they have that V-shaped headstock?

12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I didn't notice this was in a DB forum. My bad.

Yep, that's the Kramer with a V peghead. A most efficient way of removing your bandmates' teeth if they inadvertently get in your way.

[​IMG]

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    possibly because americans don't give a flip about europe.

hard to fathom, eh?

:D :D :D

oh, and off to Basses[BG] with ya, for a short detour, on your eventual way to OT[BG] :D

14. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    The same reason we pronounce 'Wagner' as 'Whagner' instead of 'Vagner,' and we spell it both 'theater,' and 'theatre.' Because we can. Quirky, ain't we?

As far as your 'in the school in the US' scenario, you're assuming that US students are paying attention to anything said in class. As a former US teenager, I can assure you that this is absolutely, and patently incorrect....

Oh, and for the record, the Japanese pronunciation of "McDonald's cheeseburger" is MaKuDoNaRuDo No ChiiZuuBaaGaa, and you don't see us getting snippy.....

Just giving you a hard time, Bruce. My favorite bass player is British. Really.

15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    To get this one back on track...
    There also are fretless basses out there with aluminium fretboards. I played one at the Frankfurt Musikmesse some years back.
    Killer MWHA on that one (Le Fay Capone fretless 5).

16. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    There is also the Andreas Basking Shark with an aluminium fretboard.

[​IMG]

17. Bruce Lindfield

Well yes,(although the cartoon I posted was from New Zealand!) but I can't see how you can look at a periodic table, with Magnesium, Sodium etc. and not be concerned that there's something wrong with the spelling of Aluminium in your books?

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, if it's any consolation, i spell it aluminium. :D

then again, we all know that the us is THE cultural center of the world, so i'm sure the rest of the world will be following our lead soon enough.

i mean, there's north american and there's south america, but when you're talking about "america" you're talking about the u.s. - the country that's bigger than 2 continents

:D ;).

19. Let's not forget Conklinium, the amazing element that powers all those fantastic basses...

20. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The most aluminum in a bass that I tried was years ago when I was seriously considering buying a Kramer. The neck and fork-shaped headstock were aluminum, except for two pieces of wood inset along the length of the neck.
    I didn't buy it because the sound mirrored the characteristics of aluminum - light, bright, exrtremely metallic...it went "pang"

However, it can sound good in other components. My Rickenbacker has aluminum in the bridge and I think the aluminum is what contributes to the characteristic "ring" of the Rick sound.

There is a Hipshot A bridge that uses aluminum, also.