Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aluminum bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by farmerdude, Dec 7, 2001.

1. Just got an aluminuminminm bass made by Ford Motor Company. The possibilities are endless. I can strip it to silver...I can paint it...when I get tired of a paint job I can start all over...I can put headlights on it:D...I can haul it on top of my Tahoe...etc...Anyway this thing sounds pretty darn good. Fun to play. Loud. The neck and scroll are carved very nice and has an ebony board.

Now back to the sound...I am very close to being satisfied. Gut strings took out much of the metallic bite but there is still the gymnasium effect with all those frequencies bouncing around in there. I might put damper in it (white insulation). Any other suggestions? Anybody else have one of these?

2. Dude, post some pictures!

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Does it float?

4. She’s kind of ugly at the moment with brown paint...I have her on a trial basis, if i keep her, I'll strip her down and she'll be as purdy as a brand new hood ornament.....I'll do the buoyancy test next time a go back home...that gymnasium effect is starting to grow on me man.
    Oh yea, I'll post pics as things happen....

5. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Y'know, folks, you can approximate that finish by Super-gluing aluminum foil all over the outside of your bass . . . .

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah, but the real question is: can you simulate the "gymnasium effect" by super-glueing foil all over the INSIDE of your bass?

All kidding aside, I've always wondered what one of these things sounded like.

7. (all hail) Bob has a bunch of pics on his links page.
    just a FYI

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Maybe you could fill it with styrofoam ghost poop.

9. mflaherty

mflaherty Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Did you get it from KC strings? I saw one there on Wednesday.

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Keep this up, and you'll never live the whole GHOSTBUSTERS thing down, ever. Do you want us to forget about that, or not? I'm beginning to wonder...

11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    :)

12. George F. Schmidtt

George F. Schmidtt

Dec 21, 1999
    I've got a real nice one I keep in the front of the studio for visitors to mess with. It is even more indestructable than a Kay. If you're thinking of lights for yours, its been done before. To see a picture, visit the 2X photo post area - "Awesome!" - but not for me.

13. Thats the one. Who are you?

14. mflaherty

mflaherty Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    I live in Overland Park, KS.

15. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    A DeLorean! And you thought you'd never be able to afford an Italian!

16. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Man, that's beautiful. If you ever get a gig on the space shuttle, that's the bass to take.:)

17. I think I will play some hip-hop-jazz on it;)

18. Hi farmerdude

Gongrats ! The De Lorean look is imho the coolest !
    But as I could not resist, here are a few suggestions (click the link below).
    One of the scans shows a Testore back...
    Un other a very nice girl...(no will not give you here number;-)

Also some other crazy ideas...

You could also fit a lightorgan and minilights in various colors for x-mas trees
    they would flash every time you hit a note .....the audience will NEVER forget you !!

Far right is Ira Dean with his alubass. He bought the bass (?) from David Roe (Johnny Cash).

Best of luck with your new girl !

http://home.swipnet.se/trubeat/silverbackv1.jpg:)

19. Wow...that is truly beautiful....how did you do that? I just now noticed that all of the pics are my bass. At first I thought that the Trick Pony dude had 8 alum basses.
    You da "graphics" man!!! :) I'll take the girl any day.
    ...thanks for the wallpaper, I feel like I owe you money...