Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aluminum coned Hartke speaks

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Drake, May 23, 2001.

1. So what do you guys think about the aluminum coned Hartke speaks? I really think they give a good tight funky punch, but have also heard some negative feedback.

I am not sure about the aluminum because I would tend to think if it was that good it might be in more common usage.

They come in a variety of magnet weights too, so how would you think that would affect their tone?

I also like the 5 incher that they put in their good cabs. It offers some added punchy highs that really seem to help the overall tone....

So yeah opinions...........................

2. BASS_PLAYERS

BASS_PLAYERS

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    Tommy Shannon uses 'em.....enough said!!! :)

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    To be honest, I dislike them intensely. To my ears, not enough high-frequency air, not enough real lows, and not a particularly attractive midrange. By way of perspective, I use an Acme Low B-2 and like it way better. Before that, I had an Eden, which I also liked way better than Hartke.

But everyone's meat is someone else's poison, and you may well find something you can use in them. My own bias is that it's pretty hard to be an absolutist about tone--that is, to assert that X piece of gear just sounds bad or good, period. Really, it's all about context and application--a tone I can't use may be exactly what works for you, and vice versa. Hence I reiterate that the above is just what Hartke speakers sound like *to me*. By all means, try them out for yourself and see what you think.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I really like the sound, but you've got to be careful with them. If you overdrive them, they simply explode, and the shrapnel could shred a shredder's leg.

I used to own a Hartke 1155 Combo ... it's a 3500 amp head with a 15 and a 5 (both aluminum) in the cab. I still play it at rehearsals, and regret selling it. It never gave me (or the new owner) an iota of trouble, but I heard stories of how the 3500 had too much power for the speakers. I think that's why its replacement, the 2155 Combo, has the 2000 head in it.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my personal opinion is that the 4x10" and 1x15" bass cabs never really sounded that great to me, but i love the 4x12" aluminium cone guitar cabs - the tone and grind that i get out of them sounds excellent. paired with 18" pa subs, they sound awesome.