Aluminum cones

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by XxBlackOrchidxX, Dec 24, 2003.

1. XxBlackOrchidxX

Dec 23, 2003
    |n what ways do these differ from paper cones ? better, worse, same ? is ther an tone difference? Does the heating and/or cooling of the metal effect the sound or longivity of the cones ?

thank you.
  2. My 4x10 has aluminium cones ( Hartke 4200 ).

In general one could say that the thicker the cone is, the more lows the cab can produce, because the thicker cones are less " floppy " than thin cones. The problem is, that if you make the cone too thick, it will become too heavy and will make the mids 'n highs sound crappy. So it's important to find a good balance. I think that's why Hartke uses aluminium; because it is strong ( sturdy ), yet very light.

The downside of aluminium cones is that they lack tone characteristics ( sp ? ), which is something that paper & carbon speakers do have. Aluminium cones have a more " sterile " sound.

Better or worse than paper cones ? Nah.. just a matter of opinion i think. Personally i love them.

my 2 cents.
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I used hartke aluminum's for several years. Definitely a different tone, some love it, some hate it - you'll need to check it out for yourself.

One thing that I learned from years of using them is that if you have them out in freezing temperatures, give them time to warm up to the room before playing through them. The aluminum gets brittle when extremely cold, and will blow MUCH easier when cold. Also, I had problems with the black felt center dust covers coming partially unglued after time and use. Sounded like a blown speaker, but all it required was re-gluing the dust cover, NOT replacement or reconing of the speakers.
  4. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    I'm pretty sure aluminum's elasticity properties don't change significantly, particularily when used for speaker cones, in the range of temperatures a speaker cabinet will see from outdoors to indoors...

They would certainly sound different than a paper coned driver, as their distortion characteristics will likely be very different. It's surely not something everybody will agree upon.
  5. XxBlackOrchidxX

Dec 23, 2003
    what |m looking for is high volume, and good low end, are these right for me ?
  6. mine is loud and has a decent low end. but i got one of the older hartke cabs. i dont know about the new ones.
  7. I had a Hartke 410 years ago when they first came out and loved the sound of it. But I don't think that they are really high wattage cabinets. I was warned when I bought mine that I shouldn't run a high powered all tube head through them as it would probably blow the speakers(peak wattage?). Maybe the new ones are different but I'm not sure.
  8. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I had 2 4.5 xl cabs and really liked them. I traded them for an Eden 2-15. Big mistake. I would really like to hear them in a sealed box like an Ampeg 8-10.