1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aluminum hipshot bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by stuntbass77, Jul 2, 2014.

1. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    I'm thinking about putting a hipshot bridge on my fretless build so I can later add a piezo graph tech saddle (if I want to go down that road). I really like schaller brass roller bridges but they are heavy and I can't add a piezo to it later. I was thinking about going aluminum as it would save weight. The bass is heavy but I am still worried about going aluminum. I heard that if the bass is heavy already using a light bridge won't effect the tone much. I'm not a full time builder so I'm not sure about buying into this thinking.

2. I've had both aluminum and brass Hipshot As and couldn't tell the difference made in tone. They were on different basses, so not real test could take place without a bunch of swapping. Regardless, I love the design and adjustability of the A.

They introduced a piezo saddled model awhile back, IIRC.

3. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    Love my hipshot bridge. The intonation is amazing and I haven't adjusted it in about 6 months and it's still perfect. Pretty lightweight IMO because of the aluminum but not too much noticeability. But..Easy to change strings and string spacing is an awesome feature as well!

4. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    Thanks for the info guys.