aluminum necks?!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by d_rock211, May 5, 2002.

1. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    I've seen a few of those Hartke's with the aluminum necks floating around on ebay. What is the deal with these things? I can't imagine how it would sound, and I haven't been able to find one locally to play. Anyone have any experience with an aluminum neck?
  2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I used to own an aluminum-necked Kramer, way back when. I remember it being fairly bright and aggressive with lots of sustain, as well as neck-heavy and rather cold on winter days. Couldn't tell you whether the new Hartkes are the same, though.

3. Is it just me or does Hartke use aluminum alot?
  4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The necks are a T-shaped aluminum core covered in maple. They are different in that respect from the Kramers, which had the entire neck made of aluminum. Check out the web page for more info:
  5. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska

Sorry, but you're not quite right--the Kramers had T-shaped aluminum cores, with wood (maple or walnut) panels in between the "ribs" to make them round--they were not solid aluminum. There was exposed aluminum down the center and below the fretboard, though. Enough to make it cold, anyway!

6. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i think bass NW has had a Keith Roscoe w/ an aluminium fretboard for quite a while... i wish i could play with that thing.
  7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    When I played the aluminum-neck Kramers when they first came out, I immediately disliked the tone. Very metallic sounding (duh), which may be good for some people. Great sustain, put little punch. Not "tinny," but some other variety of tone that didn't appeal to me.

The only guitar I know of that I think had an all-aluminum neck was the Travis Bean.

Currently Vaccaro is producing basses with what might be the original Kramer neck. I saw a 4, and it looked the way I remember the Kramers. I didn't play it.